Wednesday, October 26, 2016

Book Review: Summers at Castle Auburn by Sharon Shinn


Pages: 342
Publisher: Ace (Penguin)
Released: April 1, 2001
Rating: 4.5 out of 5 stars, Special Shelf
Goodreads

*sigh* How do I describe a book like this? You totally know what I mean to describe, because this is the type of book every reader knows...not genre, not plot, but feel. But, putting that into words is hard.

It's the type of book I want to call "classic" or "timeless" but neither of those are quite right. It's a "quiet" book, without a breakneck plot or even a clear step by step series of events. It's more the type of book where you float in the world, meeting the people, living alongside them, slowly immersing yourself in this state of being that is both new and as familiar as an old favorite sweater.

And then, without making a big fuss, threads start to tie themselves together. The climax appears on the horizon and you realize that, of course, all paths are leading to this final point. The ending was entirely predictable, and really it was more waiting for main character Coriel to catch up with what we've known all along. But it wasn't a frustrating predictability. It was like putting in the final pieces of a puzzle when you've long known what the picture will show, but still feel that firm satisfaction of rightness when the last pieces fall into place.





3 comments:

  1. "It's more the type of book where you float in the world, meeting the people, living alongside them, slowly immersing yourself in this state of being that is both new and as familiar as an old favorite sweater." LOVE this description, it is perfect for this book. Being a standalone, it's a very contained fantasy, and yet the world doesn't feel super lacking/sparse. And while there is romance, I think of it more as a coming-of-age storyline. Despite the fact that it's a standalone, we see Coriel grow up and mature before our eyes. It's wonderfully re-readable as well, and altogether a great example of a "hidden gem" kind of story. So glad you loved it too! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is a book that makes me think of you :) A hidden gem for sure! I agree, this definitely felt like a coming of age story. I think that also helps it have a timeless feel and high re-readability.

      Delete
  2. I've heard of this one but never read it, Small. I'll have to give it a try when I'm in the mood for a slower paced fantasy. The fact that Danya likes it too is a good sign since we share similar tastes as well.

    ReplyDelete

It's all about friendly conversation here at Small Review :) I'd love to hear your thoughts!

Be sure to check back again because I do make every effort to reply to your comments here.

Because I am absolutely terrible about following through with blog awards, I can't in good conscience accept any more. Thank you very much for thinking of me though!

Spam WILL be deleted. Attacks on myself or other comments WILL be deleted.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...