Wednesday, December 20, 2017

Book Review: House of Shadows by Rachel Neumeier


Goodreads
3 out of 5 stars

This book started out so strong and then just fizzled. This is a slow-burn book that would have been magnificent if it had been given more pages to fully tell its story. The world building and characters were interesting and real. The perspective changed between three main characters, but really followed even more characters and every one of them was intriguing. The magic and culture systems had depth. The budding romances were charming. Ah, I was so in love with what was being built here!

And then it all swirled into a rushed climax that was confused, too fast, and left so many threads dangling. Not so much in the unresolved thread dangling sense, but more in the everything was wrapped up far too quickly sense. The speed of the ending also made the bad guy turn into a two-dimensional fool when they were really shaping up to be a character with nuance.

I feel like one minute I was leisurely lounging in a warm bath and then all of a sudden the water turned frigid and I had to leap out of the tub. So disappointing, especially since this could have been a Special Shelf book in line with Uprooted and Heart's Blood.


2 comments:

  1. I really hate when a book has a strong start and then fizzles out. So much potential is wasted! I hope your next read is much better, Smalls!

    ReplyDelete

It's all about friendly conversation here at Small Review :) I'd love to hear your thoughts!

Be sure to check back again because I do make every effort to reply to your comments here.

Because I am absolutely terrible about following through with blog awards, I can't in good conscience accept any more. Thank you very much for thinking of me though!

Spam WILL be deleted. Attacks on myself or other comments WILL be deleted.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...