Thursday, February 16, 2012

Author Interview: Beth Revis


Please Welcome Beth Revis!


Beth Revis is the author of Across the Universe and its sequel A Million Suns (just released this January!).I haven't read either of these books yet (mostly because they are never on the shelves in my library--Good for Beth, bad for Small!), but they're on my TBR and I've spent more time than I should probably admit to oogling their gorgeous covers. I've also managed to sneak a peek at the first chapter and WOW, talk about dramatic!

Beth was kind enough to stop by today and answer some of my very important questions (you know, about kissing and stuff).


Q: Which one of your characters would you most want to kiss?

A: It has to be Elder--such a noble gentleman!


Q: Which one of your characters do you most want to slap or give a verbal tongue lashing to?

A: There are times when I'd like to slap Amy. I think she's in a situation where everyone knows what she SHOULD do, but she's not willing to do it. She's rather stubborn.

Q: If you were transported into your book, which scene would you most want to reenact?

A: The Season. Oh, Lord. That was the most uncomfortable scene to write, and the most emotionally eviscerating for me. It tapped into a lot of personal fears, and it was the one time where, after writing the scene, I had to walk away from the story for awhile.

Q: Which one of your character’s brains would you want to pick the most?

A: He's not a character who is actually IN the story--but he is mentioned a lot. I'd like to know more about the Plague Eldest, the first Eldest in the world of Godspeed. I'd love to know more about his motivations and fears.

Q: Which scene do you think will surprise readers the most?

A: The end! I try to make a unique twist for my books--I want to make the reader surprised!

Q: What is one piece of advice you would give your main character?

A: Don't give up hope, have faith, and don't be afraid to fall in love.

Readers should add ACROSS THE UNIVERSE and A MILLION SUNS to their To Be Read list if they like...

Books about:
     Kissing in space, where there's a very good chance things blow up.

Books/movies like:
     Firefly/Serenity, Star Trek, Doctor Who

Main characters like:
     Tris, Amy Pond, Starbuck

Romantic leads like:
     Peeta, Rory, Merlin



About Across the Universe:

A love out of time. A spaceship built of secrets and murder. When Amy is frozen aboard the interstellar spaceship Godspeed, she expects to be woken in 300 years on a new planet. Instead, someone wakes her up early…and if Amy doesn’t figure out soon, the next people woken up might not survive–including her parents.

Highlight to read about A Million Suns:

Godspeed was once fueled by lies. Now it is ruled by chaos. It’s been three months. In that time, Amy has learned to hide who she is. Elder is trying to be the leader he’s always wanted to be. But as the ship gets more and more out of control, only one thing is certain: They have to get off the ship.

Author bio:

Beth Revis lives in rural North Carolina with her husband and dog, and believes space is nowhere near the final frontier. Across the Universe is her first novel.


Thank you so much for stopping by, Beth!

Let's see now...I already have Elder on my list of "Fiction hot guys I need to meet," but now I'm super curious to learn more about this Plague Eldest (you know how I love detailed histories with all sorts of secrets that need ferreting out!). I also want to read this Season scene. Something tells me it's not the Victorian type of season, huh?

But, honestly, even without all that, all you'd need to say to me is "Star Trek" and "Firefly/Serenity" and I'll be all over it.

And if THAT weren't enough, kissing with a good chance of explosions seals the deal.

Have you read Across the Universe or A Million Suns?
How would you answer these questions?
(Remember, no spoilers please!)

12 comments:

  1. I haven't read ATU yet. I really need to since everyone raves about it. I've heard great things about Elder.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I still have to read AMS - but I loved ATU! It was wonderful and I also found the Season scene very frightening!
    I love the Interview - It's fresh and unique questions. I also the short notes about why to read those books! :))
    Who doesn't love kissing in space!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great interview! I ADORED ATU and snapped up AMS the day it came out (I'm one of those that took it from the library shelves - I'm sorry, but kind of not too! haha) and they are both fabulous. Gripping and romantic and oh my goodness I would sing praises all day every day if I could.

    I'd love to pick Doc's brain - just because he's so intelligent and seems like he's a free-thinker, but then...I mean. I can't spoil it, but Doc is much more to the story than just a Doctor, and I would love to know what he really thinks and if it does go along with his actions.

    And that Season scene was...horrifying. I think that's the most stand out moment of both ATU and AMS for me, because I was terrified and my heart was in my throat and I couldn't put the book down!

    ReplyDelete
  4. She sounds hilarious in real life! I haven't read either book, but this interview just made me want to.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I still have to read AMS and enjoyed ATU. I actually wanted to smack Elder upside the head in the first book and felt sorry for Amy. Yeah, that Season thing was something. I actually had to reread that part to check and see if I had made it up in my head. Yeah, no..it really did happen.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Very cool. Awesome interview. I have been curious about these books because the covers alone make me want to pick them up. Now I am insanely intrigued!

    ReplyDelete
  7. O O O I want to read this! Great interview.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Such a good interview! I love it!
    I so want to read this series but I'm waiting until is over, because I like to read one after the other :D

    Thanks for the interview, Smallsie.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I loved Across the Universe and CAN NOT wait to read A Million Suns! The story is amazing and the characters so well developed! Loved the interview! And I would love to know more about Plague Eldest as well... Do I smell a prequel??

    ♥Melissa

    ReplyDelete
  10. I read AtU, and while I enjoyed it, I wasn't obsessed. I definitely want to try AMS though, so thank you for the fab interview :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love both books, all the lies, the twists and turns! I'm with Beth, I'd kiss Elder and I'd love to slap Amy at times and Eldest in the first book. I'd like to beat him actually. I would not like to be transported into the Season. Maybe Amy's first time of seeing the Godspeed? I'd love to talk to plague eldest the most, too. And I agree with her last answer.

    I can't wait to read the next book!! Great interview, Small!

    Heather

    ReplyDelete
  12. The Season scene was sooo disturbing. Actually, a lot of the big reveals were very disturbing to read about. Godspeed truly is the ship of creepy secrets. You need to read this one, Small!

    ReplyDelete

It's all about friendly conversation here at Small Review :) I'd love to hear your thoughts!

Be sure to check back again because I do make every effort to reply to your comments here.

Because I am absolutely terrible about following through with blog awards, I can't in good conscience accept any more. Thank you very much for thinking of me though!

Spam WILL be deleted. Attacks on myself or other comments WILL be deleted.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...