Monday, September 10, 2012

Books I got this week (6)

It's been established so clearly that I can't even lie about it: I have no self-control when it comes to books. I acquire them at a much faster rate than I can actually read and review them, but hopefully these posts will help those books get some exposure NOW instead of waiting until I actually manage to find time to, you know, read them.

This post is for the past four weeks.


For Review



The Key of Amatahns
by Elisabeth Wheatley

Release Date: June 30, 2011
Publisher: Chengalera Press
Pages: 306
Goodreads Page

I received the first two books in this series. I don't usually accept self/indie published books, but something about this one looked good. It's epic fantasy and I have a soft spot for that genre. After reading the previews on Amazon, I decided to give them a shot.

Author requested review.



Traded


Scarlet
by A. C. Gaughen

Release Date: February 14, 2012
Publisher: Walker Children's
Pages: 292
Goodreads Page

I'm always so on the fence about the Robin Hood story. On one hand, I don't really love the idea of stealing from people, so I have a hard time getting on board with Robin and co. But, I have such fond memories of Disney's Robin Hood...so, I'm torn.

This version is supposed to have a romance that's up my alley, and that's really what tipped the scales for me in favor of Scarlet. 


Seraphina
by Rachel Hartman

Release Date: July 10, 2012
Publisher: Random House Books for Young Readers
Pages: 467
Goodreads Page

I was so tempted to request this book when it was up on NetGalley, but that 467 page count and the fact that I read my e-galleys on my computer totally turned me off.

I was fine with this, AND THEN. Then I kept reading review after review singing Seraphina's praises and describing it as basically the perfect fantasy book for me. So I wept. And then I added it to my wishlist for trading. And then someone was kind enough to trade with me and save me from a life of Seraphina-less misery!


Library

I finally got a library card for my new library system! And, of course, I over-indulged. I've really missed the process of browsing through the shelves, pulling off treasures, bringing home my big stack, and then diving in with no pressure to review. Here's what I got:

Incarceron
by Catherine Fisher

Release Date: January 26, 2010
Publisher: Dial
Pages: 422
Goodreads Page

I had this book on my TBR for soooo long that it really was getting embarrassing. I had no excuses, either, because the sequel Sapphique has been published for a while now. So when I saw it on the shelf I decided to rectify the situation.

And oh my gosh. I'm so glad I did! I'll be reading the sequel ASAP.


White Cat
by Holly Black

Release Date: May 4, 2010
Publisher: Margaret K. McElderry Books
Pages: 310
Goodreads Page

This is another series that I've had on my TBR for a really, really long time. In my defense, I was waiting for this whole series to be published before starting, and now they are. I love male MC books, but they're rare and finding one that's actually good and has That Voice is even rarer. I'm hoping Cassel hits the mark!



The Squire's Tale
by Gerald Morris

Pages: 200-ish
Goodreads Page

Another one I've been meaning to read for a while. But, I won't be able to take it off my TBR just yet because I'm DNF-ing it for now. It's not that I don't like it, because I do, it's just that I'm not feeling it at the moment. It's a little too King Arthury for me right now and that's just not where my reading mood is taking me at the moment.



 The Black Cauldron
by Lloyd Alexander

Pages: 200-ish
Goodreads Page

And ANOTHER that's been on my list forever. I've heard such good things about this series and I really want to love it, but eeeh I don't know. I'm not loving it so far. I've put it on hold (which is like a short term DNF) but I'm not ready to return it to the library yet. I want to love it and I want to love it NOW, so I'm going to try to pick it up again.

I think vague flashbacks to the Disney movie are clouding my judgment too, and I know that's not something I should allow given how much the movie changed and sucked in comparison.


The Princetta
by Anne-Laure Bondoux 

Release Date: August 8, 2008
Publisher: Bloomsbury
Pages: 430
Goodreads Page

I really, really, really wanted to love this book! Some of my favorite bloggers adore it and I was so excited to see my library had a copy and I totally fell in love with it when I read the letter the princess leaves for her father explaining why she's running away.

And then. Then I started to not like it very much. The chapters switch between the princess's POV and the perspective of a pirate's son and though I really liked the events, I kind of didn't like both of the characters at all. So now I don't know what to do, but I've DNF-ed it for now.

Enchanted
by Alethea Kontis

Release Date: May 8, 2012
Publisher: Harcourt Children's Books
Pages: 305
Goodreads Page

I love fairy tale retellings! I had originally thought this was just about the Frog Prince, but then all the reviews I read mentioned there were a ton of other fairy tales referenced. Double score! Also, they had pretty great things to say about the book overall, so I was really excited to see a copy at my library.



The Seer and the Sword
by Victoria Hanley

Release Date: April 8, 2003
Publisher: Random House Children's Books
Pages: 352
Goodreads Page

I've had my eye on this one for a while, but I keep hearing mixed reviews so I'm not sure. It's high fantasy though, so I think I just have to give it a try and see for myself. For the longest time I thought it was a standalone, but apparently it's the first book in a trilogy (of course!). I haven't heard much buzz about the other books though...


Bought



The Last Knight
by Hilari Bell 

Release Date: August 28, 2007
Publisher: Eos (HarperCollins)
Pages: 368
Goodreads Page

I've already read and loved this book, so when I saw it for sale on Amazon for $3.60 I decided to buy it (even though it's a paperback and the sequel I already own is a hardcover...). It's a fantasy series about two guys who go around solving mysteries in a fictional, hm, it's a little more modern than medieval but that's a close enough setting.
 

Angelfall
by Susan Ee

Release Date: February 14, 2012
Publisher: Feral Dream/Amazon
Pages: 254
Goodreads Page

I've heard so many good things about this book! I read the preview on Amazon and I was pretty much hooked instantly. I'd tossed around the idea of buying the e-book (it's so cheap), but I really wanted a print copy. Finally, Amazon has released a print version!



What did you get this week? Are you interested in reading any of these books? What did you think of them if you've read them already?








.

11 comments:

  1. I hope you enjoy Seraphina-I actually just bought a copy for myself this weekend because it has been my second-favorite read of the year (after Code Name Verity). Looking forward to a review!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awhile back, I tried to email you about Scarlet by AC Gaughen, though I don't know if you ever saw it. I'M SO HAPPY YOU'RE GOING TO TRY IT - it's one of my absolute faves ever, and I knew that it would be the perfect thing for you to try once I finished it :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really enjoyed White cat...I wasn't "in love" but it was a fun read. I have Seraphina waiting for me in my shelf...hope to get to it soon. Happy reading!

    My Added to the Bookshelf post!

    ♥ Melissa @ Melissa's Eclectic Bookshelf

    ReplyDelete
  4. They all sound fantastic! I should get a library card too. I used to have one, but when I went abroad I ended my membership. :(

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've read The Seer and the Sword. In my opinion it was a light high fantasy, a very easy read. I guess it would depend what your tastes are and what you are in the mood for. I think I gave it 4/5 when I read it. I had no idea it was a series. As for the other books - I haven't heard of most but oh my gosh, at least half of them have AMAZING covers. I especially love the cover for The Squire's Tale and The Princetta.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great books this week! I'm glad you enjoyed Incarceron-- the idea was definitely strange, but worked great. Not sure, but I think I have The Seer and The Sword on my shelf somewhere...need to get around to picking that up. >_<

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've heard all good things about Angelfall! Can't wait to see what you think!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Cassel from White Cat is pretty awesome XD I love him. I definitely think he's one of the better male protagonists in YA. Oh my gawsh, Seraphina is so high on my wishlist right now. I NEED IT.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I went through a Victoria Hanley phase after I read Crown Duel. I was looking for some YA fantasy to follow it up with. I remember enjoying her books, but not in a fangirly way. Maybe it's time to revisit them?

    I think you'll love Scarlet,nthough.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Ooohh Scarlet and Seraphina!! I can't wait for those!! Toooo badddd about The Princetta, though! :( I'm always so bummed (and I feel quite bad) when I recommend a book to someone and it doesn't sit well with them... :/ I hope you can pick it up again later and maybe enjoy it more! ;)

    Also - Enchanted was good, but kind of...weird..boring? I dunno. The Last Knight, I just couldn't get 30 pages into it...for some reason I lacked the patience. It's a neat idea though and someday maybe... ;)

    but INCARCERON. Shoot, Small, wasn't it brilliant??? You seriously need to pick up Sapphique, like, NOW. :DDD

    Great week of books, Small! :D

    Sierra @ Yearning to Read

    ReplyDelete

It's all about friendly conversation here at Small Review :) I'd love to hear your thoughts!

Be sure to check back again because I do make every effort to reply to your comments here.

Because I am absolutely terrible about following through with blog awards, I can't in good conscience accept any more. Thank you very much for thinking of me though!

Spam WILL be deleted. Attacks on myself or other comments WILL be deleted.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...