Sunday, January 5, 2014

2014 Off the Shelf Challenge


15/15 books


Challenge Basics: 
Name: Off the Shelf Challenge
Hosts: Bookish Ardour
Starts: January 1, 2014
Ends: December 31, 2014
Eligible Books: Books you own prior to 2014. I will also personally count books I acquire in 2014 toward my own personal goal of making sure I read all the books I own.
Levels: 7. I'm going to try for the second level of 15 books.
Prizes? None that I see

Sign up page

Why I'm Interested:  

I'm not sure if Bookish Ardour is hosting this challenge in 2014, but I am determined to finally read more of the books I own. Partially because I feel ridiculous owning so many books I haven't read yet and partially because I don't want to waste valuable shelf space on books I don't actually want to keep.

So part of my goal with this challenge is determining what books I own that I want to keep and which I'm willing to give away. That means I need to force myself to read all those books I own that I'm not 100% positive I'm going to love.

Last year I said I'd be happy if I read at least 7 books I own. I ended up reading 8. But guess what? I wasn't happy. I really didn't accomplish what I wanted to do, which was make a significant dent in reading the books I own.

But THIS year will be there year! Probably.

Hopefully.

Maybe.

Some books I'm considering: 

I picked up a whole bunch of historical fiction books in 2013 and I don't want them to remain unread by 2015. So, all of those. It's also about time I read:

At least one of the Robin McKinley books I own
One Kate Morton book I own
Tiger's Curse by Colleen Houck
Darkbeast by Morgan Keyes
Daughter of the Forest by Juliet Marillier
Stork by Wendy Delsol
My Unfair Godmother by Janette Rallison
How to Take the Ex Out of Ex Boyfriend by Janette Rallison
Ashfall by Mike Mullin
Monument 14: Sky On Fire by Emmy Laybourne (DNF)

Angelfire by Courtney Allison Moulton (DNF)

A Spy in the House by Y. S. Lee
Scarlet by A. C. Gaughen (DNF)

The Trust by Tom Dolby
Seraphina by Rachel Hartman
The Knife of Never Letting Go by Patrick Ness


Books Completed:

15. Pandora the Curious by Joan Holub and Suzanne Williams *
14. Hit the Road, Helen! by Kate McMullan
13. A City Tossed and Broken by Judy Blundell
12. A Spy in the House by Y. S. Lee
11. My Unfair Godmother by Janette Rallison
10. Rise to Rebellion by Jeff Shaara
9. To Be Queen by Christy English
8. The Summoning by Kelley Armstrong
7. The Forbidden Queen by Anne O'Brien 
6. Tributary by Lisa T. Bergren
5. Enchanted by Alethea Kontis (audio)
4. I'd Tell You I Love You but Then I'd Have to Kill You by Ally Carter
3. The Restorer by Amanda Stevens
2. The Winter Palace by Eva Stachniak
1. Warrior by Marie Brennan

Books Acquired in 2014 Completed:

16. Thursdays with the Crown by Jessica Day George
15. Mary Tudor by Anna Whitelock
14. Heir of Fire by Sarah J. Maas
13. The Wars of the Roses by Dan Jones
12. The House on Tradd Street by Karen White
11. The Case of the Cryptic Crinoline by Nancy Springer (audio)
10. Evil Fairies Love Hair by Mary G. Thompson
9. Wolfsbane by Gillian Philip
8. The Wild Queen by Carolyn Meyer
7. Thief's War by Hilari Bell
6. The Hero's Guide to Being an Outlaw by Christopher Healy
5. The Tropic of Serpents by Marie Brennan
4. Red Riding Hood Gets Lost by Joan Holub and Suzanne Williams
3. Cinderella Stays Late by Joan Holub and Suzanne Williams
2. Beauty by Nancy Ohlin
1. Ophelia and the Marvelous Boy by Karen Foxlee


Have you read any of these books? Do you have any suggestions that I absolutely MUST read?

12 comments:

  1. YOU HAVEN'T READ SCARLET?!?? Read. Immediately.

    I also read A Spy in the House and had mixed feelings, but I liked it overall and want to continue the series. I think I need to re-read it.

    I also own and haven't read Tiger's Curse. If you want to buddy read either TC or A Spy, let me know!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've started reading Scarlet now and, *runs* I'm not liking it much.

      I would love to do a buddy read! I was all excited to start Tiger's Curse, but then I saw that the final book isn't going to be released until 2015! So now I'm not sure.

      Delete
    2. Is it the accent that's driving you away? At first it really bothered me, but eventually I got used to it.

      Oh goodness, I thought the Tiger saga books were all done for some reason. That does put a damper on things. Also I've heard mixed things about it which is one reason I haven't read it yet.

      Delete
    3. No, the accent isn't the biggest issue, surprisingly. I don't like it, but I can get over it. It's more annoying because it doesn't make sense to me (why only the were/was issue and nothing else? Why only her?)

      I more don't like Scarlet herself, I'm not convinced of the rightness of their thieving and the villain, and I'm not enjoying the love triangle. I'm sad. :(

      I thought the Tiger books were done too! Then I look on Goodreads the other day because I was planning on trying to take them out of the library and wanted to get their titles/order written down. And then I see book 5, release date 2015! Gah! I keep going back and forth between thinking I'll absolutely LOVE the series and thinking maybe I won't love it after all.

      Delete
    4. I didn't like Scarlet much myself--I couldn't get it into my head that the various relationships were really healthy.

      Delete
    5. YES! I'm having a hard time supporting them.

      Delete
  2. you have to read Daughter of the Forest because it's awesome!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hehehe I know! I have no doubts that I'll love it. Now i just have to actually READ it :P

      Delete
  3. WTF? You have Seraphina and The Knife of Never Letting Go and have not read either one? Me too! What is our problem! I've read Ashfall, its a long read, about survival, but its worthwhile.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aaaah buddy read to finally knock those two out in 2015? I seriously need motivation, which is crazy because they're reviewed so highly.

      Delete
  4. Ok, this is a hefty goal, but if you complete this by the end of year you will complete ALL you challenges. C'mon Small you can do it!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know! I know! If that's not motivation I don't know what is. I'm going to check my shelves to see if I have any tiny books I can knock out.

      Delete

It's all about friendly conversation here at Small Review :) I'd love to hear your thoughts!

Be sure to check back again because I do make every effort to reply to your comments here.

Because I am absolutely terrible about following through with blog awards, I can't in good conscience accept any more. Thank you very much for thinking of me though!

Spam WILL be deleted. Attacks on myself or other comments WILL be deleted.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...