Sunday, March 2, 2014

Books I Got

It's been established so clearly that I can't even lie about it: I have no self-control when it comes to books. I acquire them at a much faster rate than I can actually read and review them, but hopefully these posts will help those books get some exposure NOW instead of waiting until I actually manage to find time to, you know, read them.

This post is for some of the books I've gotten in the past LONG TIME or so.


For Review


Grimmtastic Girls:
Cinderella Says Late
by Joan Holub and Suzanne Williams


I can't even express how excited I am to see this series! Joan Holub and Suzanne Williams are the geniuses who write the Goddess Girls series and I am crossing my fingers and toes that their take on fairy tales is as pitch-perfect as their reinvention of Greek mythology.

Requested and received via NetGalley.


Thief's War
by Hilari Bell


This is the fourth and latest book in Hilari Bell's fantastic Knight and Rogue series. I haven't seen too much talk about this series, but that's a travesty because I love these books. Fans of brothers-in-arms fantasy books need to check out these books ASAP. Book 2 is my personal favorite so far.

Pitched and received from the author.

 .

Won/Traded


The False Princess
by Eilis O'Neal


I've read this book and gave it a perfectly good "middle of the road" 3.5 star rating. But as happens sometimes with my 3.5 star books...they stick in my head. And I think about them, and think about them, and then want to re-read them. Such is the case with The False Princess.

You can't go wrong in my book with a story about a girl who thought she was a princess but was then told she was only a decoy. I think I'll like this one even more now that I know what to expect (and can skip past the slower beginning and get on to the adventuring).


Star Crossed
by Elizabeth C. Bunce


I LOVE this book! Court intrigue, spies, secrets, and deadly mysterious people! The only thing missing is a romance, but that doesn't stop me from keeping this one on my Special Shelf. I am so glad I own a copy so now I can do a re-read.



Nightspell
by Leah Cypess


The companion novel Mistwood is another one of those 3.5 star books that stuck with me and keeps popping into my head. I need to do a re-read, but I'm even more excited to read Nightspell, which looks at different characters and includes fantasy ghosts!






What did you get this week? Are you interested in reading any of these books? What did you think of them if you've read them already?








.

8 comments:

  1. That's great! Joan Holub and Suzanne Williams are teaming up for another series--my girls will be thrilled. Only, I'm not as big a fan of these covers. I appreciated that the GG books were over-the-top girly. These ones are maybe too Disney? Not enough glitter? I'm not sure, but something is off...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Isn't it great! I can't wait to show all the little girls I know!

      *sigh* I'm SO glad you brought up the covers. I want to love them like I love the GG covers, but I just...don't. There's something about them that just doesn't feel right. Disney, maybe. I feel almost Barbie? Something's off...(ha! I just realized that's what you said!)

      Delete
  2. I haven't read the Goddess Girls, but I did get Cinderella Stays Late from Netgalley, as well, and I loved it! It's very girly and very fun, and I love the way the authors incorporate Cinderella's classic tale into the boarding school setting,

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The way you describe Cinderella Stays Late sounds exactly like how I'd describe the GG series! So, I'm both even more excited to read it and totally book pushering the Goddess Girls series onto you! :D

      Delete
  3. That's too funny, I thought I remembered you just weren't too impressed with The False Princess. Now it seems as though its growing on you. :-) Reading this post you've got me inspired to check out the Knight and Rogue series. I think you might be making me a fan of brother-in-arms fantasy books. I'm also curious about the Mistwood books.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh no, I loved The False Princess! But I was totally bummed about the first 100 pages (which is a pretty big chunk) because they were soooo slow and draggy. I think with time I've remembered the good parts more and come to the realization that with a reread I can skip all the boring parts and dive right into the fun.

      I think you would LOVE the Knight and Rogue series! Definitely check them out!

      Mistwood, yes, I think you'd like it, but maybe not love it. The main character is very distant.

      Delete
  4. I got Grimmtastic too! LOL I hope they are good! and also, I agree about The False Princess, I like that book a lot, it lingers though it might not be the most awesome book ever.

    ReplyDelete
  5. There are a couple of books in this post that I should really read this year. Nice haul!

    ReplyDelete

It's all about friendly conversation here at Small Review :) I'd love to hear your thoughts!

Be sure to check back again because I do make every effort to reply to your comments here.

Because I am absolutely terrible about following through with blog awards, I can't in good conscience accept any more. Thank you very much for thinking of me though!

Spam WILL be deleted. Attacks on myself or other comments WILL be deleted.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...