Wednesday, October 22, 2014

Mini Review: A Countess Below Stairs by Eva Ibbotson




Release Date:1981
Pages: 383
Received: Bought
Rating: 5 out of 5 stars, Special Shelf

I had an irrational aversion to Eva Ibbotson's books (I though they'd be boring and the high page counts scared me) until Ruby convinced me to read this one with her and just like that, I was a super fan.

This book is just so utterly charming. The good characters are pure and wonderful, but in a way like a fairy tale not like a Mary Sue. The evil characters are straight up evil (though there is still a degree of nuanced depth to their characterizations) it was easy and fun to loathe them. The black and white of the characters made me feel like I had transported back to the comfort of childhood.

Which is not to say that the characters were flat or simplistic. They stand out in my memory, even the tiny asides and little scenes have stuck with me and continue to delight. My conversations with Ruby were of the gasping "Oh my gosh, that scene!" "Totally! And that character! Can you believe what they said?!" "Pupkin!" variety.

As for plot, it reads so fast and easy. There's the sweet sigh-inducing central romance (which could be a Disney princess movie, and that's a very good thing) and all of the side stories swirl around this. Everything builds to create a Downton Abbey-esque atmosphere where you're following a huge cast of characters and they all manage to stand out.

The historical setting frames everything and is surprisingly detailed. It's like a sly historical fiction book—you think you're reading a light fairy tale, but you're actually getting the education of historical fiction with zero work.

Bottom line

It feels strange to describe a book as light and frothy while also substantive and weighty, but Eva Ibbotson has definitely struck that balance. I absolutely adored this book and can't believe I ever doubted Eva Ibbotson. Highly recommended, especially to fans of Downton Abbey and Anne of Green Gables

 

Explanation of rating system: Star Rating Key 
________________________________




Looking for another book like this?
You might like:
https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/13929.Wildwood_Dancing?ac=1

 Click on the pictures to go to my reviews.

2 comments:

  1. Im so happy you like this book!!! I Don't always click with ibbotson's books But i just loved this one.

    The sweetness of it! The longing!!!

    My fave subplots were the dog, sergei and Win.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, I love Ibbotsen! Both her funny middle-grade fantasies and her dreamy historical romances. (I was excited to hear they're making a movie of Which Witch.)

    You're right, her romances should feel corny, shmaltzy, shallow, but somehow they're totally not!

    You should try Journey to the River Sea. The plot summary doesn't at all tell you what it's about; you just have to read it. Loved, loved, loved the characters.

    ReplyDelete

It's all about friendly conversation here at Small Review :) I'd love to hear your thoughts!

Be sure to check back again because I do make every effort to reply to your comments here.

Because I am absolutely terrible about following through with blog awards, I can't in good conscience accept any more. Thank you very much for thinking of me though!

Spam WILL be deleted. Attacks on myself or other comments WILL be deleted.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...