Wednesday, November 12, 2014

Mini Review: The Corinthian by Georgette Heyer



Release Date: 1940  
Pages: 261
Received: Library
Rating: 4.5 out of 5 stars, Special Shelf

I wasn't dead set against picking up a Georgette Heyer book, but I was somewhat reluctant (I was afraid she'd be boring, which is so far from reality it's laughable) and I was totally overwhelmed by her huge body of work. Enter Ruby. Again. She steered me toward the slim The Corinthian and I loved it.

Much as I did enjoy it, the first half of the book didn't completely hook me, but that's mostly because of main character Penelope. Her contentious relationship with Sir Richard was amusing, but she felt so young to me and I had a hard time connecting with her. At least in the first half.

Sir Richard was a completely different story. It was love at first sight and the more time I spent with him and his sly apathy and subtle sarcasm, the deeper that love grew.

Plot wise, the first half was a rollicking lark complete with concealed identities, jewel thieves, Austen-y families (of the groan and cheer inducing varieties), and the 19th century version of a Proper Quest. There was never a dull moment so it was easy to zip right through.

The second half? Total farce. I laughed out loud until I gasped for air at the absolutely perfect absurdity of it all. All the difficulty I had connecting with Pen completely evaporated and we became bosom friends, shooting each other covert eye-rolls amidst all the chaotic fun.

Of course, Sir Richard only grew in my estimation and the banter between him and Pen was epic. Also, Ms. Heyer totally gets the importance of THAT KISS and delivers all the knee-wobbling heel-popping, heart-clutching impact of a properly done kiss.



Explanation of rating system: Star Rating Key 
________________________________




Looking for another book like this?
You might like:
https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/18885674-the-scandalous-sisterhood-of-prickwillow-placehttp://smallreview.blogspot.com/2011/01/spotlight-gothic-fiction-part-iv.html


 Click on the pictures to go to my reviews.


11 comments:

  1. So this was your first Heyer book? I've read two or three of hers and always enjoyed them. Your post has inspired me to get some more.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Heyer, Holt and Cartland are the three who hooked me on romance reads 30 odd years ago but have not read one of their books in probably 25 as outgrew the style of these authors. So glad your first experience with Ms. Heyer's work was enjoyable, regardless of when written her characters adventures are entertaingly timeless.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My favorite Heyer book is Frederica, and I also really liked Devil's Cub (Mary is awesome) - try those next!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yay for Georgette Heyer! Yeah I've read a few of hers, but I think my favourite is probably The Nonesuch (although it's the only one I own so it's the one I've read most often, lol). The main character is actually quite mature (she's considered 'on the shelf' in those times), unlike some of the protagonists in other GH novels. And the hero is awesome. There *is* a very annoying younger girl who is super bratty and you will want to smack her, but that's all intentional!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've had a "Heyer" book on my TBR forever. I think I even downloaded a freebie once....Your positive review has made me more enthusiastic about reading it! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I ADORE Georgette Heyer and have been reading her books---along with Victoria Holt's, Mary Stewart's, and M. M. Kaye's---since I was probably about 12 or 13. So glad to hear you had fun with your first, and I hope you have a chance to read many, many more :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I never read Heyer before, but I hear great things about her books. Your review makes me want to check out her books. Maybe I'll start with this one too.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I read a lot of her in High School...Wonder how different my perception of them would be now...

    ReplyDelete
  9. I've never heard of this Author but I'm going to have to see if my library has this one. I like books that make me laugh.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hmm, I've never even heard of the author but now you've made me curious about her novels. Is this a historical romance, Small?

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh... okay, now I wanna read this!
    I recommend to you Friday's Child in Audiobook format. I loooved it, it make me laugh so much when I was listening to it, the way the language rolls out it's just delightful.

    ReplyDelete

It's all about friendly conversation here at Small Review :) I'd love to hear your thoughts!

Be sure to check back again because I do make every effort to reply to your comments here.

Because I am absolutely terrible about following through with blog awards, I can't in good conscience accept any more. Thank you very much for thinking of me though!

Spam WILL be deleted. Attacks on myself or other comments WILL be deleted.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...