Wednesday, August 5, 2015

Book Reviews: Goddess Girls #9-11 by Joan Holub and Suzanne Williams

Pandora the Curious 
Goddess Girls #9
Received: Review copy from author
3 out of 5 stars

There's something about Pandora that just didn't click with me. Not just in this book, but in the other books where she makes a sidekick appearances. But that's the beauty of this series: different readers will connect with different Goddess Girls, and if you don't like one, no worries! There's plenty more to choose from.

The rest of the story follows the same formula of modernized and cutesy myths, a small crush, and lots of heart. My lack of connection with Pandora made me less invested in all of these features, but they're still solid.



Pheme the Gossip
Goddess Girls #10
Received: Library
5 out of 5 stars

The books that follow Goddess Girls outside of the core four have been somewhat hit and miss (above) with me. Pheme is definitely a hit. Her gossipy nature is shown in both a positive and negative light, allowing Pheme to learn from her mistakes while also embracing her strengths. Her interactions with the core four were entertaining and I definitely aw-ed a number of times. Pheme is total sleepover party material and hope we get more books focusing on her.



Persephone the Brave
Goddess Girls #11
Received: Library
4 out of 5 stars

I liked Persephone's first book, but she and I never made it to full on BFF mode. I still don't think we're there yet, but I connected with her a lot more this time and we would have totally had bonding moments at the lunch table (ugh, that girl, SO get your frustration with her, Persephone!). The myth twisting felt particularly good and I adore the things that happened with her relationship with Hades (no spoilers, but so sweet!). I appreciate the way the authors are handling Persephone's longer-term romance (as compared to the initial crushes) in a way that is both age-appropriate and nuanced.





Bottom line

The Goddess Girls series has stayed strong through 11 books and counting (18 books so far!) and continues to be my go to series for middle grade girls. Birthday gifts, book recommendations, you name it, if there's a middle grade girl somehow related to the conversation I'm having I guarantee I will find a way to work this series into that conversation.

Myths, creative plots, friendship, feelings, and a whole lot of heart—if it's not clear already, I cannot recommend this series strongly enough.



2 comments:

  1. I've read a few of these, and they're adorable! I agree with you that everyone will relate to different girls. I couldn't really relate to Pandora either, but I loved Medusa's book

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! Medusa's book was great. She has another one out (coming out?) that I have high hopes for.

      Delete

It's all about friendly conversation here at Small Review :) I'd love to hear your thoughts!

Be sure to check back again because I do make every effort to reply to your comments here.

Because I am absolutely terrible about following through with blog awards, I can't in good conscience accept any more. Thank you very much for thinking of me though!

Spam WILL be deleted. Attacks on myself or other comments WILL be deleted.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...