Sunday, June 19, 2011

In My Mailbox (21)

In My Mailbox is a meme started by Kristi at The Story Siren with some inspiration from Alea of Pop Culture Junkie where we get to post about the books we receive each week through publishers/authors, our own purchases, contests won, and libraries.

This mailbox is for the past two weeks. 


For Review


I'm not sure if I'll get a chance to read either of these before they expire considering I haven't yet read the first book in either series. They're also both massive, and I assume the first books are equally thick. They've both been on my TBR for a while now though, so I would like to try to get to at least one of them.



Clean is so not my type of book anymore. Ten years ago I would have been all over it, but now I'm not so into the "issues" books anymore. Call it nostalgia, call it the siren song of a free ARC, whatever the reason I grabbed it and I'll give it a shot if I have the time.

The Unwanteds is another "out of my comfort zone" book. I don't like Lisa McMann's writing style in her YA books. It just doesn't click with me at all and it makes me feel dreary. But this is a middle grade book and the cover screams action and adventure! There's bright colors, running children, and a giant winged lion thingy! That can't be bad, right? (Though I have to say, I think I like the other cover just a little bit more. Maybe)


Fury by Elizabeth Miles
Wisdom's Kiss by Catherine Gilbert Murdock 
Witchlanders by Lena Coakley

Greek myth and two fantasies...can I be anymore in heaven? I hope I adore all of these books because my expectations are sky high.

Thank you Houghton Mifflin Books for Children, NetGalley, and Simon & Schuster!


From the Library

Click to make larger

The Coven's Daughter by Lucy Jago
Nightspell by Leah Cypess
The Iliad by Homer (Translated by Stanley Lombardo)


I've been dying for The Coven's Daughter and Nightspell to come in through inter-library loan. Of course they come just as I get all those galleys, but I'm not going to look a gift horse in the mouth. The Coven's Daughter looks really short (only 200 something pages), so hopefully I can zip through that quickly. It's a Gothic story with witches, I think. I loved Mistwood, so I'm really looking forward to Nightspell.

I got The Iliad for my guy, but I might steal it from him. I don't know, I have so many books already! Then again, with all the Greek myth-based stories I've been reading, maybe it would be a good idea to brush up on the original? I've never sat down and read the whole thing from start to finish. This edition has a strange cover for the book.


Won

Click to make larger

Abandon by Meg Cabot
Thank you The Compulsive Reader and Tera Lynn Childs!

No, you're not seeing double! I went around like a mad woman entering as many Abandon contests as I saw, and it paid off! If my sister doesn't want the extra copy, then I'll be hosting a giveaway for it.


What did you get this week? Has anyone read any of these books yet? Did you like them? 
Feel free to comment with links to your mailboxes or your reviews of these books!

26 comments:

  1. Galleys don’t actually expire. You can re-download them again so you can take your time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome IMM! I also grabbed a number of those from the Galley Grab newsletter. :)

    Here's mine!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Braiden, They do from Simon & Schuster. They expire a day or two before or on the release date. Thank you though!

    Chelsey, It was a great newsletter this month!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Aaah! I hate it when I'm on a time crunch to read books before they expire. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Awesome books. I got Fury too. It looks amazing. Happy reading :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I got Fury and The Unwanteds, too, which I'm terribly excited about. I haven't read Wake, but I adored Cryer's Cross. Make sure you read the author's forward I sometimes (okay, often) skip them but I thought McMann's was an interesting one.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great IMM! I'm excited to try out Nightspell and I too went a little crazy with the S&S GalleyGrab :) too many good books available!

    Here’s my IMM!

    ReplyDelete
  8. galleygrab was fantastic this week, i agree. simon & schuster might well by my favorite publisher, hehe :D

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow oh wow oh wow *faints*
    HAve a great week I am sure you will with that pile of lovelies :D

    ReplyDelete
  10. How awesome was the GalleyGrab this month??? Can't wait to hear your thoughts on Abandon, and OH! LOVE that you The Illiad!!! Got to appreciate the classics, right?

    -Linds

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great set! Can't wait to read Nightspell. I read The Iliad in 12th grade. I really liked it.
    Also, I forgot to mention that I got the Adele Griffin books in the mail this week. Thanks so much for the giveaway!
    My IMM

    ReplyDelete
  12. Fury looks really good!!! I'm so tempted to download it from Galley Grab but I think I need a break from S&S books for a while. :P

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh congrats on winning Abandon! I really enjoyed it, but I seem to be on the lonely end of the spectrum on that one, I'll be interested to see what you think! I'm dying to read Fury, I love the cover of that one and the premise so it's an all-around win for me:)

    ReplyDelete
  14. I keep seeing Dust & Decay on people's lists -- I want that one! I loved Rot & Ruin -- have fun!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I really liked Clean, but then again, I'm a fan of issue books :P
    I got Damned too. Crusade was ok, but tbh, I can't really recall it very well :/

    ReplyDelete
  16. Great books this week! I really liked Nightspell and am looking forward to hearing your thoughts on the rest!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I also got Fury this week and I'm so excited! It was one of my WOW's and I can't wait to start it! I still haven't picked up Abandon yet so I'm looking forward to what you'll think of it. Also congrats on your wins!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Amazing haul this week! Looking forward to what you think of Fury and Witchlanders as I got those ones as well. Also, The Unwanteds, which I think I'll really like (though I have no experience with Lisa Mcmann's writing). Happy reading :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. Another winner of a mailbox for you this past two weeks. I think I can get Witchlanders off galley grab, too. I can't wait to hear what you think.

    ReplyDelete
  20. I've read Abandon and enjoyed it. As for the others, I'm WAITING for them!
    Especially Fury and Witchlanders. Though I'm interested to see what you think of Nightspell. The cover is beautiful.

    Read fast! I want reviews!

    Heather
    Ordered Golden from Paperback Swap!
    Wanted Violet Eyes but it wasn't available.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Lovely set of books here! I think I'd be too scared to try and read Homer again. Isn't that what wikipedia is for? ;)

    ReplyDelete
  22. Looks like it was your lucky week!
    I hope you like Wisdom Kiss, I'm interested in reading that one too.

    :D awesome reads! :D

    ReplyDelete
  23. Thanks for stopping by everyone!

    Linds, I'm going to *try* to wait for the sequels to be published before I read Abandon. It's so tempting to start now though :P Definitely have to appreciate the classics!

    Cialina, LOL too bad this Galley Grab didn't come last month!

    Jenny, Thanks! I want to try to wait for the sequels to come out before I read Abandon. I hope I like it, especially since I loooove her Mediator series.

    Heather, LOL. I'll try to read fast! I'm still working my way through previous mailboxes :P I hope you like Golden and can get your hands on a copy of Violet Eyes! I'll keep an eye out for you :)

    Logan, Um, I'll probably be reading Wikipedia right alongside it :P I'm intimidated. Verse/poems stuff like that are so NOT my thing. But maybe picturing Eric Bana as Hector will help? :D

    ReplyDelete
  24. Great books this week! Hadn’t heard of Wisdom’s Kiss prior, but that cover sucked me right in. Adding it to my TBR pile ASAP :)

    Enjoy all your new books! Can’t wait to hear what you think of The Unwanteds & Fury.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Yay- you got the Lucy Jago book! I hope you like it :) Congrats on the Abbandon wins too!

    ReplyDelete

It's all about friendly conversation here at Small Review :) I'd love to hear your thoughts!

Be sure to check back again because I do make every effort to reply to your comments here.

Because I am absolutely terrible about following through with blog awards, I can't in good conscience accept any more. Thank you very much for thinking of me though!

Spam WILL be deleted. Attacks on myself or other comments WILL be deleted.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...