Wednesday, April 20, 2011

Waiting on Wednesday (19)


Waiting on Wednesday is a weekly meme hosted by Jill at Breaking the Spine where we all feature upcoming books we're eagerly anticipating.

I've altered things a little to include one book that hasn't come out yet and one that has already been published but I still haven't gotten around to reading yet.



Goodreads description of Juliet Immortal (September 2011):


Juliet Capulet didn't take her own life. She was murdered by the person she trusted most, her new husband, Romeo Montague, a sacrifice made to ensure his own immortality. But what Romeo didn't anticipate was that Juliet would be granted eternity, as well, and would become an agent for the Ambassadors of Light. For 700 years, she's fought Romeo for the souls of true lovers, struggling to preserve romantic love and the lives of the innocent. Until the day she meets someone she's forbidden to love, and Romeo, oh Romeo, will do everything in his power to destroy that love.



Why I want to read it: 

I was never a fan of Romeo and Juliet, so I have no purist qualms with Stacey Jay’s revamping this classic tale. In fact, I never bought their super-duper love, and so I’m really digging the new spin of making Romeo a double crossing sleaze. And making Juliet some kick butt immortal? Ha, I love it! I want to see these two go toe to toe, and I want it to be epic.



 Goodreads description of Intrinsical (August 2010):


Sixteen-year-old Yara Silva has always known that ghosts walk alongside the living. Her grandma, like the other females in her family, is a Waker, someone who can see and communicate with ghosts. Yara grew up watching her grandmother taunted and scorned for this unusual ability and doesn't want that to be her future. She has been dreading the day when she too would see ghosts, and is relieved that the usually dominant Waker gene seems to have skipped her, letting her live a normal teenage life. 

However, all that changes for Yara on her first day at her elite boarding school when she discovers the gene was only lying dormant. She witnesses a dark mist attack Brent, a handsome fellow student, and rushes to his rescue. Her act of heroism draws the mist's attention, and the dark spirit begins stalking her. Yara finds herself entrenched in a sixty-year-old curse that haunts the school, threatening not only her life, but the lives of her closest friends as well. Yara soon realizes that the past she was trying to put behind her isn't going to go quietly.


Why I want to read it: 

I like ghosts, I like suspense and mystery, and I love decades-old curses. I haven’t read many reviews for this one, but the few I have read have all been very positive. The next book in the series (Indelible) comes out this September and, I have to admit, Indelible’s beautiful cover has given me renewed interest in Intrinsical.

Have any of you read either of these books? Would you recommend them?



21 comments:

  1. I would like to read both of these too! Didn't realize Intrinsical had a sequel.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My friend keeps gushing about Intrinsical to me. I definitely need to pick it up soon. Juliet Immortal is on my wishlist, too. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Woooot! I want to read Intrinsical, the cover looks so awesome and the synopsis sounds just great! I haven't heard of this book! Happy Wednesday!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great picks. I want to read both as well.

    I am a fan of Romeo and Juliet so I am excited for Juliet Immortmal. Also I love the cover for Indelible too. Lots of pretty red dresses this week :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Waiting on these books as well! Great picks!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I can't wait to read these, they're already on my wishlist :)
    I'm your new follower!
    here's my wow: http://bookgeekcentral.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  7. I really like that you include why you want to read the book. What a great idea!

    Here is my post: http://www.lisasworldofbooks.com/2011/04/waiting-on-wednesday_20.html

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ooh, pretty covers! That last one is making me really curious about Intrinsical too ;)
    Check out my WOW picks!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Juliet Immortal also piques my interest as well.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Intrinsical sounds very unique! I haven't ever read a book by it.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Juliet Immortal is already on my TBR and now it looks like I'm going to add Intrinsicle to it too. I've grown a little tired of boarding school scenarios but it sounds like it'll be a good read :)

    Sandy
    My WoW

    ReplyDelete
  12. I definitely want to read the Juliet one.
    I hate with a passion R & J, I always thought it was a rather silly story, but I dig this spin on Romeo and on her.
    I can't wait for the book.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I'm not sure if the first book is a good fit for my reading style. But the second book is right up my alley.

    About the sequel's cover: ooooooh pretty! I hope you do a CC post on it!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Intrinsical is on my TBR and I'm really looking forward to reading it. I hadn't heard about Juliet Immortal. I don't usually have positive experiences with re-tellings of stories I adore (see: Wicked by Gregory Maguire), so I think I'll give that one a miss. But maybe your review can change my mind. :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. The Juliet Immortal book sounds really interesting. I haven't even read Romeo & Juliet, but the story is such a classic.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Yeah, yep, I'm interested in Juliet, Immortal because I always hated Romeo and Juliet for it's completely depressing ending. I have a copy of Intrinsical and it is totally and completely my plan to read it before the sequel comes out.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Totally agree with your reasons for wanting to read Juliet Immortal. It does indeed sound EPIC! Good choices!

    My WOW

    ReplyDelete
  18. Thanks for stopping by everyone! I'm so glad I'm not the only one who doesn't like Romeo and Juliet! I was getting ready to dive into my bunker after letting that cat out of the bag :)

    Thanks for all you WoW links!

    ReplyDelete
  19. You have to read Intrinsical! I wasn't expecting a lot, but I ended up really enjoying it!

    ReplyDelete
  20. I'm not the biggest Shakespeare fan. But I'm looking forward to Juliet Immortal. I hope it's good. And I'm loving the cover to Indelible. It's rather similar to Juliet Immortal...only the girl is standing up! Are they wearing the same dress? I think it's the same girl just different covers! LOL

    ReplyDelete

It's all about friendly conversation here at Small Review :) I'd love to hear your thoughts!

Be sure to check back again because I do make every effort to reply to your comments here.

Because I am absolutely terrible about following through with blog awards, I can't in good conscience accept any more. Thank you very much for thinking of me though!

Spam WILL be deleted. Attacks on myself or other comments WILL be deleted.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...