Wednesday, April 27, 2011

Waiting on Wednesday (20)

Waiting on Wednesday is a weekly meme hosted by Jill at Breaking the Spine where we all feature upcoming books we're eagerly anticipating.

I've altered things a little to include one book that hasn't come out yet and one that has already been published but I still haven't gotten around to reading yet.




Goodreads description of The Princess Curse (September 6, 2011):


Twelve princesses suffer from a puzzling—and downright silly—curse. Ridiculous though the curse may be, whoever breaks it will win a handsome reward.

Sharp-witted Reveka, an herbalist’s apprentice, has little use for princesses, with their snooty attitudes and impractical clothing. She does, however, have use for the reward money that could buy her a position as a master herbalist.

But curses don’t like to be broken, and Reveka’s efforts lead her to deeper mysteries. As she struggles to understand the curse, she meets a shadowy stranger (as charming as he is unsettling) and discovers a blighted land in desperate need of healing. Soon the irreverent apprentice is faced with a daunting choice—will she break the curse at the peril of her own soul?




Why I want to read it:  

This is one of those books that just hits so many of my “DO WANT” marks. Princesses, curses, a fairy tale retelling (this is another 12 Dancing Princesses retelling), a door to the Underworld!! Yup, I so want to read this book. I’m loving the cover art, too.



 Goodreads description of The Kneebone Boy (September 14, 2010):


Life in a small town can be pretty boring when everyone avoids you like the plague. But after their father unwittingly sends them to stay with an aunt who’s away on holiday, the Hardscrabble children take off on an adventure that begins in the seedy streets of London and ends in a peculiar sea village where legend has it a monstrous creature lives who is half boy and half animal. . . .

In this wickedly dark, unusual, and compelling novel, Ellen Potter masterfully tells the tale of one deliciously strange family and a secret that changes everything.


Why I want to read it: 

Oooh, I like the sound of this one. Don’t those children look just a little bit creepy on the cover? I can’t wait to see what kind of adventure they find themselves on. I’m also hugely impatient to find out all about that secret.



Have any of you read either of these books? Would you recommend them? 
 



I'm interrupting myself to push a book on you. Remember Paranormalcy by Kiersten White? Want to win an ARC of Supernaturally? Of course you do! Trust me, you really do. It's an awesome, awesome book. So how do you do this? Go to Kiersten White's blog and leave a comment telling her your favorite thing about Paranormalcy. Simple, easy, and SO WORTH IT!


16 comments:

  1. These two sound great, the cover of Kneebone remind me of the Adams Family movies :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. I heard about Kneebone Boy ages ago, on Bookshelves of Doom, but I've never been able to find it in a bookstore and it was one I wanted to look at before I bought it. Mostly I think I may be attracted to the cover. I love it when they're done by an actual artist.

    Also, the covers of these books are similar in style. Do you know who the cover artist was for either/both of them? Gonna have to find out. *Heads off to for some interweb searching.*

    ReplyDelete
  3. The Princess Curse sounds super fun and sweet. I love a good re-telling. Nice picks Small :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Cute picks! :)

    My WoW today was actually inspired by YOU!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I havent read any of them. Cute picks

    Here is my W.O.W.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great choices! I'll have to check The Princess Curse out. I too have had The Kneebone boy on my list for ages. I've heard great things.

    New follower.

    My WWW and WoW: http://yalitwit.blogspot.com/2011/04/www-and-waiting-on-wednesday-april-27th.html

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great covers and plots! These just went on my TBR list. Thanks for the heads-up!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. First I have to say that I love the illustrated covers -squee- and secondly both of these books sound very very good and are oging on my TBR right now.

    Sandy
    My WoW

    ReplyDelete
  9. And I've just realized there is a person sitting in that tree behind the creepy children which makes it even more creepy.

    Sandy

    ReplyDelete
  10. I really liked The Kneebone Boy.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm loving the covers of these two! Super cute.

    The Princess Curse sounds great! I think I'll have to pick that one up.

    Jennifer of Little Shelf

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love the covers!

    I'm your newest follow. I hope you have a great day! :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. I've not read either one, but The Kneebone Boy has been on my radar for a long time. The second book sound fabulous, though I've never seen or heard a thing about it.

    Let me know if you start reading The Kneebone Boy . I'm curious to hear if its really as good as it sounds.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oooo... another 12 Dancing Princesses retelling! I'm getting into fairytales at the moment and the cover is really cute. Another one to add to my TBR list :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thanks everyone for stopping by!

    Rubita, Good eye! The cover artist is the same for both books. You’ll also recognize a lot of other beautiful covers he’s done. The artist is Jason Chan

    Karis and Jessi, Thank you for following! I hope you enjoy your time here. :)

    Sandy, Oh my gosh I didn’t even notice that person in the tree! Good catch. Sooo creepy!

    Jana, Ooh, good to know! Thank you. :)

    Gina, I’ll let you know for sure!

    ReplyDelete

It's all about friendly conversation here at Small Review :) I'd love to hear your thoughts!

Be sure to check back again because I do make every effort to reply to your comments here.

Because I am absolutely terrible about following through with blog awards, I can't in good conscience accept any more. Thank you very much for thinking of me though!

Spam WILL be deleted. Attacks on myself or other comments WILL be deleted.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...