Saturday, June 23, 2012

Books I got this week (2)

It's been established so clearly that I can't even lie about it: I have no self-control when it comes to books. I acquire them at a much faster rate than I can actually read and review them, but hopefully these posts will help those books get some exposure NOW instead of waiting until I actually manage to find time to, you know, read them.

This post is for the past two weeks.


For Review


Soulbound
(Legacy of Tril #1)
by Heather Brewer

Release Date: June 19, 2012
Publisher: Dial
Pages: 304
Goodreads Page

Love triangles, paranormal beasts, boarding school, girl training to fight in secret, epic wars looming. Yeah, this has all the ingredients of a mixed bag for me, and that's pretty much what I thought of the book, too. There were a lot of things I was kinda eh about, but overall I enjoyed myself and I'm looking forward to the sequel.

Hard copy. Showed up unexpectedly on my doorstep, but I think that was because of something I entered through Shelf Awareness.


The Queen's Vow
by C. W. Gortner

Release Date: June 12, 2012
Publisher: Random House
Pages: 400
Goodreads Page

I was reading this through NetGalley but at 400 pages I was struggling trying to find time to finish it on my computer before the expiration date. I requested a hard copy because, holy cow, this book was fantastic!

If you're looking for gripping historical fiction that reads like a novel but still serves as an awesome cheat-sheet for learning about history, then you definitely need this book in your life.

Hard copy. Requested and received from the publisher.


Something Strange and Deadly
by Susan Dennard

Release Date: July 24, 2012
Publisher: HarperTeen
Pages: 400
Goodreads Page

Steampunk + zombies is a pretty good mix, but what makes this book totally awesome is the roguish romantic lead, thoroughly likable heroine, and Kiersten White-ish vibes I'm getting. I'm reading it now and loving it!

Hard copy. I don't know how I got this book. I put in a request months ago and I interviewed Susan during the Historical Fantasy Jubilee AND I filled out a request through Shelf Awareness, so I'm not sure which reason got me the book, but I'm super happy either way.



Griffin's Fire
by Darby Karchut

Release Date: April 15, 2012
Publisher: Twilight Times Books
Pages: 200
Goodreads Page

I enjoyed the first book Griffin Rising and requested this sequel because, wow, after that ending, I need to find out what happens to Griffin next! Darby sent this copy out super fast and I can't wait to dive in. She also included a signed bookmark of her upcoming new series Finn Finnegan, which sounds like it will have a lot of fantastic banter (I love banter!)



Outpost
by Ann Aguirre

Release Date: September 4, 2012
Publisher: Feiwel and Friends
Pages: 336
Goodreads Page

Enclave gave me a ton of zombie slaying action and two characters I almost instantly fell in love with. I can't wait to see what happens to Deuce and Fade in this sequel!

Hard copy. Requested and received from the publisher.


Bought


Tributary
by Lisa T. Bergren

Release Date: June 8, 2012
Publisher: Bergren Creative Group
Pages 163
Goodreads Page

Doesn't Luca look nice on that cover? He's my favorite, so I'm hoping there's a lot of Lia and Luca in this book. But if not, it's not like I'd be disappointed by a lot of Gabi and Marcello. Or Greco and...

I bought this through Amazon when it was only 99 cents! (at least, I'm pretty sure that's what it was). Total steal, but it's still a bargain now at $2.99, and even though it's technically a novella, 163 pages is a pretty hefty novella!


Eternal Spring
by Various Authors

Release Date: April 2012
Pages: 284
Goodreads Page

This book was free! You can download it now through Amazon (and probably Barnes and Noble, though I'm not positive) and as soon as I heard Stephanie Dray had a story in it I snatched that puppy up. I love Stephanie Dray's writing. Finding out there's a Diana Peterfreund of killer unicorns fame story in there definitely sweetened the already sweet deal.


What did you get this week? Are you interested in reading any of these books? What did you think of them if you've read them already?

In future posts, do you have a preference between stock pictures or photographs of the actual books?








.

20 comments:

  1. I've been reading great things about Soulbound! The cover and synopsis look GOOD! Didn't know about Griffin books- might the looking out for them.

    Great haul this week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I liked Soulbound. I had some issues with it, and it is definitely part 1 of a series, but I'm looking forward to reading more.

      I do recommend keeping an eye out for the Griffin books. They're worth the time :)

      Delete
  2. OH, I'M JEALOUS. I want to read Something Strange and Deadly SO BADLY! That's like the one book that I'm super waiting for this summer!

    Here's my Stacking the Shelves!

    Happy reading!

    -Lexi, the Literature Lion
    http://www.theliteraturelion.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was SO much fun! I hope you love it when you get a copy :D

      Delete
  3. Oh, you got Outpost!! I'm definitely looking forward to what happens next with Deuce and Fade.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too! I hope they fight a lot of zombie freaks.

      Delete
  4. GREAT week, Small!! :D Outpost looks awesome and TRIBITUARY!!! I need to read Bourne still, how sad is that?! But I will...very soon... :D

    Also....there should be a package coming in today or Monday for you. :D I finally sent it on Wednesday. Enjoy, darling!

    Sierra @ Yearning to Read

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hehe we'll just say that you're saving Bourne for when you need to read something you KNOW will be good :)

      I got it! Than you SO much! :D

      Delete
  5. Wow! Glad the book got there, but stunned how fast! Must be wings or something... :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great stack this week. I'm super excited about Outpost. I really enjoyed Enclave. Can't wait to read your review. Told my sis about The Queen's Vow. She just discovered she likes historical fiction.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too! Enclave was a great blend of dystopia and post-apocalyptic. I hope your sister likes The Queen's Vow! It's incredible all the stuff that happened.

      Delete
  7. Why must you post these things to tempt me? I've already got enough to read on my Kindle for the rest of the year, but I needed Eternal Spring. ^_~

    ReplyDelete
  8. Coolness!!
    I think Tributary is about Greco, though.
    But I still got to read Bourne! LOL

    Anyway, you got some super awesome books, Smallsie!! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think Tributary is about Greco and a new lady, which so isn't a problem :) I'm just happy I now have a visual of Luca (and thankfully he doesn't have yucky Marcello hair!)

      Delete
  9. Wuuuuut? I didn't know the new Bergren novella was out. Where the heck have I been? I hope the price goes down again. I'll be on the lookout. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It slipped by me too! It must have been a stealth release. :)

      Delete
  10. Nice stack of books! I so want a hard copy of Something Strange & Deadly! Eternal Spring looks good. Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. SS&D was so much fun! Susan Dennard is definitely a new author to watch. Hope you enjoy!

      Delete

It's all about friendly conversation here at Small Review :) I'd love to hear your thoughts!

Be sure to check back again because I do make every effort to reply to your comments here.

Because I am absolutely terrible about following through with blog awards, I can't in good conscience accept any more. Thank you very much for thinking of me though!

Spam WILL be deleted. Attacks on myself or other comments WILL be deleted.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...