Thursday, February 6, 2014

Tiny Reviews: Warrior & All Our Yesterdays

Sometimes I read a book and, love it or hate it, I just don't have all that much to say about it. I don't really like the idea of putting multiple reviews in one post (mostly because I feel like it makes my review index and post titles messy and I'm an obsessive stickler for organization), but I'm going to give it a shot now. 



Warrior by Marie Brennan

I immediately sought out more Marie Brennan books as soon as I finished A Natural History of Dragons (LOVE) and Warrior topped my list of "Want To Read." The blurb described it as basically two doppelgangers, one a witch and the other an assassin, living in a world where There Can Be Only One and so they need to try to kill each other. Awesome!

The book was good, but not as epically awesome as I was expecting based on that premise. The characters were likable, but flat. The action was promising, but never delivered any truly pulse pounding scenes. There was no romance, which is fine, but also a letdown. The world building was fascinating, though, and my favorite part by far. 

This is the first book in a duology, but it ends pretty well as a standalone. I like where things ended here and I'm content to leave it at that. 

Purchased
Rating: 3 out of 5

___________________________________________


All Our Yesterdays by Cristin Terrill

I DNF-ed this one at the 120 page mark and just barely had to hold back from tossing it across the room. The opening chapter was gripping and I had SUCH high hopes, but it was a downhill crash from there. Stereotypical characters abound and I am SO TIRED of authors who rely on shallow tropes. The time travel explanations were mushy at best, but I could let that slide. What I couldn't let slide was the tiresome, repetitive stupidity of the main character. The final straw was the author's "twists" that were at best amateurish and at worst almost insultingly obvious.  

Library
Rating: DNF


Have you read any of these books? 
What did you think of them?








.

8 comments:

  1. I put off reading All Our Yesterdays for months because I read glowing review after glowing review, but I actually enjoyed it and I can also see where you were frustrated. I will say that I lowered my bar of expectation very low due to the hype and I think that might have worked to my favor.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I think sometimes a lowered bar can make all the difference. Hype can be such a book killer!

      Delete
  2. A Natural History of Dragons has been on my TBR list ever since I read your review (unfortunately I haven't seen it in my library or at BN). That's a shame about All Our Yesterdays- I still want to try it, though, because I've been wanting to read more time travel books.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Have you read Waterfall by Lisa T. Bergren? That's a time travel series I really loved.

      Delete
  3. Small!! Remember me?!?!

    I've been away forever being a good opera singer and a bad bookworm LOL I'm so glad you're still around. And as I recall, you DNF were my favorite to read because you would always have very good reasons as to why you didn't finish (and also, it would make me feel better about how many books I start and stop because I just CAN'T)

    xoxoxox
    La Toya @ La Toya, Literally

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay! I'm so happy to see you back! Of course I remember you!!! <3 I love hearing you're being a good opera singer. I'm so in awe :)

      Delete
  4. Based on the description of the doppelganger plot, I would expect great things. Too bad it failed to deliver.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, it wasn't what I was hoping it would be, but it was a good read and I'm glad I picked it up.

      Delete

It's all about friendly conversation here at Small Review :) I'd love to hear your thoughts!

Be sure to check back again because I do make every effort to reply to your comments here.

Because I am absolutely terrible about following through with blog awards, I can't in good conscience accept any more. Thank you very much for thinking of me though!

Spam WILL be deleted. Attacks on myself or other comments WILL be deleted.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...