Friday, August 1, 2014

Mini Review: The Fire Wish by Amber Lough



Release Date: July 22, 2014
Publisher: Random House Children's 
Pages: 320
Received: ARC from publisher, via NetGalley
Rating: 4 out of 5 stars
Goodreads

This book was exactly what I was hoping it would be: Sweet, fun, engaging, and light. It's an easy, quick read with likable characters.

The narrative switches every other (short) chapter between Zayele and Najwa and I thought this worked really well to both advance the plot and show the story. Their personalities are distinct enough that I rarely needed the chapter headings or even context clues to tell me who was speaking.

There isn't a whole lot of pulse pounding action, but there isn't ever a dull moment either. The storyline was engaging and I kept reading because I wanted to find out what would happen, but also just because I liked spending time in these worlds (the jinni caves! the library!) and with these people. The romances and side characters are predictable, but I found that to be a comforting plus. Zayele and Najwa are very different, but both equally likable.

Goodreads shows this is book one of a series, and while I would definitely read a sequel, I also think the story wraps up well as a standalone.

Bottom line

I love these kinds of solid stories. They're my go-to type of book when I'm looking for something that will make me happy and isn't too taxing. I can see this appealing to a wide audience as it's perfect for Goddess Girls readers looking for something a little older but still engaging enough for adult readers who enjoy middle grade books.

This is author Amber Lough's debut, and I am eagerly anticipating her next book.  


Explanation of rating system: Star Rating Key 
________________________________




Looking for another book like this?
You might like:
https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/6750586-as-you-wish?from_search=true

 Click on the pictures to go to my reviews.


8 comments:

  1. Jinni! This would be second book that I read on this genre, if ever. I like the sound of this, short, sweet, fun and solid. Sounds like a great read for one-sitting. Great review!

    Precious @ Fragments of Life

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think this is only the second jinni book I've read, too! I hope you enjoy it :) Definitely an easy book to read in one sitting.

      Delete
  2. I saw another review on this book recently. I tend to trust reviews if more then once person likes the book 8-D

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ooh, I'll check this out for when I'm going through reading slumps-- great review!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I haven't seen any reviews for this one so thanks for making me consider it, Small. I'll see if the library has this for when I'm in the mood for something quick and light.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ohh The Fire Wish sounds really good! I love worlds with so much magical potential and can't wait to finally have a story with a jinny in it. Sounds like a really cool story idea. Thanks so much for your review!:)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'll look it up, :) I'm all for stories on the shorter side that still pack a punch :D

    ReplyDelete

It's all about friendly conversation here at Small Review :) I'd love to hear your thoughts!

Be sure to check back again because I do make every effort to reply to your comments here.

Because I am absolutely terrible about following through with blog awards, I can't in good conscience accept any more. Thank you very much for thinking of me though!

Spam WILL be deleted. Attacks on myself or other comments WILL be deleted.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...