Wednesday, April 6, 2016

Book Reivew: My Fair Gentleman by Nancy Campbell Allen


Pages: 256
Released: January 5, 2016
Publisher: Shadow Mountain Publishing
Received: ARC from publisher, via Edelweiss
Rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars
Goodreads

I'm going to use the word "nice" a lot in this review. That may sound like damning with faint praise, but I don't mean it that way at all. My Fair Gentleman is a solid feel-good book that doesn't really rock the boat in any way or grip me with massive emotions, but instead floats lazily, pleasantly, and enjoyably through the story. I've been on a "nice" book kick lately where I'm looking for sweet comfort reads, and this one fit the the bill.

Thankfully, both romantic leads were nice, likable people. The narrative viewpoint shifts between the two of them, and I enjoyed both perspectives equally. It didn't matter whether they were lightly sparring, slowly falling in love, or otherwise focused on their non-romantic endeavors and blossoming friendships (which were as good as the main romance), I just liked spending time with them.

The side characters were a happy surprise and all served to make me smile. Sure, the good characters were oh so good and the bad characters were oh so bad, but I didn't mind that. If I'd been in a more critical mood this probably would have been a point to quibble over, and I probably would have wanted a little more, more character depth, passion, plot details. But, I was in the fairy tale kind of mood where sweet characters and a simple happily ever after is enough.

Bottom line

Another satisfying entry into the Proper Romance Series of standalone, clean historical romances. Nancy Campbell Allen is a new-to-me author, but I've already requested her other Proper Romance Series book based on the strength of this one.


Looking for another book like this? 
You might like: 
http://smallreview.blogspot.com/2014/11/tiny-reviews-casting-spells-and.html

Click on the cover to go to my review



No comments:

Post a Comment

It's all about friendly conversation here at Small Review :) I'd love to hear your thoughts!

Be sure to check back again because I do make every effort to reply to your comments here.

Because I am absolutely terrible about following through with blog awards, I can't in good conscience accept any more. Thank you very much for thinking of me though!

Spam WILL be deleted. Attacks on myself or other comments WILL be deleted.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...