Sunday, November 27, 2011

Spotlight List: More Historical Fantasy on My TBR

More Historical Fantasy on My TBR


The Sherwood Ring by Elizabeth Marie Pope
Release Date: 1958
Publisher: Houghton Mifflin
Pages: 256
Goodreads Page

This is one of those classic books that sounds fantastic, but I've somehow managed to miss.

Set in the mid-20th century, Peggy finds herself alone in her ancestral home in New York. Except, she's not actually alone. She soon discovers ghosts from the American Revolution haunt her home and she becomes a spectator in a "centuries old romance against the American Revolution backdrop of spies and intrigue and battles plotted and foiled."

Someone pull out my fainting couch, because that plot sounds to die for!

The Minister's Daughter by Julie Hearn
Release Date: December 26, 2006
Publisher: Simon Pulse
Pages: 272
Goodreads Page

I'm always curious about books with dual narratives, especially when they're set in two different times like they are in The Minister's Daughter (one in 1645, the other in 1692 during the Salem witch trials). It sounds like the narratives alternate throughout the book, slowly feeding the reader clues about earlier events involving witchcraft accusations to coverup a pregnancy and the ramifications of those actions.

I haven't heard much about this book, but I'm always up for a good historical set during the Salem witch trials--especially when they're real witches!

The Red Queen's Daughter by Jacqueline Kolosov
Release Date: October 2, 2007
Publisher: Hyperion
Pages: 416
Goodreads Page

Mary trains as a white magician and, upon her sixteenth birthday, joins Queen Elizabeth's court as a lady-in-waiting. She quickly learns that practically everyone at court is vying for power, and some are even plotting against the queen. If that weren't complicated enough, Mary finds herself up against a dangerous black magician who is a threat to the queen...and Mary's heart.

HECK YES! I love court scheming! And am I sensing a little hate-turned-love, perhaps?


By These Ten Bones by Clare B. Dunkle
Release Date: May 1, 2005
Publisher: Henry Holt and Co.
Pages: 240
Goodreads Page

An evil presence lurks in Maddie's medieval village (in Scotland!) and something is killing her neighbors one by one. Can Maddie find and fight the culprit? Looks like she'll have her hands full with the supernatural, but if the description of the "mysterious young man" is any indication, she'll be able to find a little time for some romance as well!

I don't want to spoil the surprise (I'm not even sure if it IS a spoiler, because it's clear in one blurb and not mentioned in another), but this book features a paranormal creature my co-host Ruby harbors a particular fondness for.

My Swordhand is Singing by Marcus Sedgwick
Release Date: July 26, 2006
Publisher: Orion
Pages: 208
Goodreads Page

If you like your vampires evil and not at all sparkly or romantic, then this just might be the book for you! Vampires are attacking a 17th century Transylvanian village and it is up to Peter and his father to stop them. It sounds like Peter's father is carrying around a hidden past (involving vampire slaying, perhaps?)...and that past is catching up to him.

I really, really hope this one is scary! I've heard it's not really as exciting or frightening as it sounds, but I'm a wimp so I scare easy.


Have you read any of these books? Did you like them? If you haven't, are you going to add any to your TBR?





Today Ruby is sharing a book review with you! 

Check out our Historical Fantasy Jubilee full schedule of events and giveaways!

Have you entered to win our prize pack giveaways?

12 comments:

  1. I've read The Sherwood Ring - it was quite a while ago now, but from what I recall I enjoyed it. Have you read her other novel The Perilous Gard? If not, you should definitely add that one to your list! It's a keeper - Elizabethan England, I think, mixed with the fae portrayed in a way you've probably never seen before. The romance is one of those subtle, gradually growing types (no insta-love there!) Plus, there's a bit of a legend re-telling going on as well...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for bringing all these books to my attention! I've read one- The Red Queen's Daughter. Books about Queen Elizabeth I and her court have always been some of my favorites and the magical aspect made it even better. I definitely recommend it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Every single one of these sounds fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Clare b dunkle is a favorite of mine and 'by these ten bones' was interesting. I haven't read her other book, 'house of dead maids' yet but will check out your review shortly. Have you read her other series, the hollow kingdom? My sister and I are obsessed with it! So good!

    I've for sure put my sword hand is singing on my TBR. Marcus Sedgwick seems to be around a lot lately but I have never read any of his books. These seems a good place to start!

    ReplyDelete
  5. The only one that I have read is The Sherwood Ring. I loved it and searched for a long time to find a copy. It wasn't in print when I started looking. The Perilous Gard is good too but I liked The Sherwood Ring better. I read it years ago and it still lingers in my memory. Happy reading!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Danya, I haven't read The Perilous Gard (but I actually did just finish The Sherwood Ring the other day, after I wrote this post). I'm definitely adding The Perilous Gard to my list now! I'm intrigued now by the way you describe the fae, and the romance. :)

    Kelsey, You're welcome! Oh awesome! I ordered that from the library so I'll *hopefully* get to read it soon.

    So Says the Whale, I agree!

    Scarlett, I haven't read The Hollow Kingdom, but it is on my list and I'll bump it up in priority now :) I loved The House of Dead Maids. I'm reading My Swordhand is Singing right now. It's good and creepy! I'd recommend reading it in one shot if you can.

    Kathy Martin, I actually just read The Sherwood Ring and I enjoyed it a lot. I love stories within stories like that. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I haven't heard of these before - Well, I think I heard about the Red Queen one - but they sound interesting :D

    Thanks for sharing your list, I like the idea of the Minister's Daughter.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm almost certain I've read the Minister's Daughter, but don't really remember it at all. That doesn't mean it was bad, just a long time ago and many, many books ago. I'll be looking forward to your review to jog my memory!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I want to read By These Ten Bones and My Swordhand is Singing. I LOVE those titles. And Scotland, well I do love those kilts! And vampire I can take or leave. So I'd love to read those.

    And The Minister's Daughter, I love the Salem Witch Trials, I'm fascinated by them actually. I'd love to know why they really happened. How those girls lived with themselves. But that one doesn't appeal to me.

    Heather

    ReplyDelete
  10. The Minister's Daughter sounds especially interesting. I'm curious to see why it's set in both 1645 and 1690s. The 1645 choice seems unusual.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I thought Sedgwick's name sounded familiar; he also wrote White Crow, which is on my TBR list somewhere.

    Both Sedgwick's book and By These Ten Bones sound interesting. I'll have to do some more snooping. :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. The cover of By These Ten Bones is seriously freaky. I have this total fear of suffocation and that really just reminded me of it. Is it odd that I still totally want to read it? I love me some twisted fiction. LOL!

    ReplyDelete

It's all about friendly conversation here at Small Review :) I'd love to hear your thoughts!

Be sure to check back again because I do make every effort to reply to your comments here.

Because I am absolutely terrible about following through with blog awards, I can't in good conscience accept any more. Thank you very much for thinking of me though!

Spam WILL be deleted. Attacks on myself or other comments WILL be deleted.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...