Wednesday, March 28, 2012

Book Review: A Breath of Eyre by Eve Marie Mont

A Breath of Eyre by Eve Marie Mont
#1 in the Unbound series
Release Date: March 27, 2012
Publisher: Kensington
Pages: 342
Received: ARC from author and publisher
Rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars


Summary

From Goodreads:

Emma Townsend has always believed in stories—the ones she reads voraciously, and the ones she creates in her head. Perhaps it’s because she feels like an outsider at her exclusive prep school, or because her stepmother doesn’t come close to filling the void left by her mother’s death. And her only romantic prospect—apart from a crush on her English teacher—is Gray Newman, a long-time friend who just adds to Emma’s confusion. But escape soon arrives in an old leather-bound copy of Jane Eyre…

Reading of Jane’s isolation sparks a deep sense of kinship. Then fate takes things a leap further when a lightning storm catapults Emma right into Jane’s body and her nineteenth-century world. As governess at Thornfield, Emma has a sense of belonging she’s never known—and an attraction to the brooding Mr. Rochester. Now, moving between her two realities and uncovering secrets in both, Emma must decide whether her destiny lies in the pages of Jane’s story, or in the unwritten chapters of her own…



Review

Why you can't just look at the rating

My ratings are my personal, subjective reaction to the book I read. It's a measure of how much I enjoyed it, or not. My ratings are NOT objective critiques on the worthiness of a book.

So that's why it would be a really bad idea to look at my 3.5 rating here and think A Breath of Eyre is only a slightly above average book. It's not. It's a good, solid book and I do recommend it.

It's just not really MY kind of book.

What I was expecting

I gravitate toward time travel (book travel?) stories like this because I like to laugh and I automatically assume this plotline will come with a hefty dose of sarcasm, funny observations, and "fish out of water" hilarity.

Barring that, I was expecting to get caught up in the Gothic romance of Jane Eyre. Which, to be honest, is probably me setting myself up for a fall because I've, um, neveractuallyreadJaneEyre. So I really don't think I was in a position to have accurate expectations.

But either way I figured I'd spend a chapter or two in the modern world before Emma was whisked into the pages of Jane Eyre where I would then spend the rest of the story.

And of course all my expectations were completely wrong.

What I got

First off, the vast majority of the book takes place in modern times. Jane Eyre is more of a metaphor that helps Emma deal with the events in her real life. It is NOT the focal point of the story (though if you haven't read the original, prepare yourself for massive spoilers).

And that humor I was expecting? Definitely NOT there. The meat of the story is Emma's real life relationship with her father, her two friends, and her maybe crush. All of these relationships are fraught with Serious Issues like the specter of dead mothers, suicide, depression, mental illness, death, classism, insecurity, and racism.

Heavy, right? For a contemporary issues reader, this book will be a treasured gem. But for me, I was lost. I'm not an issues reader, and these issues are all WAY too heavy for me. I may have even teared up a little at one point.

So why didn't I just DNF?

Honestly, I was tempted. For me, reading issues books is like wearing an itchy wool sweater. Everything feels forced and uncomfortable.

But narrator Emma was like a pair of super comfy fuzzy socks and that is why I kept reading. There was something about her that felt right and made me want to be her friend. She's shy and unsure and sort of floundering around, but she has a strength to her that made me proud. I could relate to Emma's fears and her desire to conquer them.

The pacing was also sort of slow, but there was interpersonal stuff going on all the time and I was curious to see how it would all unfold. I was antsy in the beginning because it takes a long time before Emma gets sucked into the book, but that's mostly because I was expecting a different sort of book at that time.

The narrative then bounces back and forth with Emma traveling from our world to Jane's, back to ours, then back to Jane's, and then back to ours again. The biggest surprise to me was that I actually enjoyed the parts in our world more than those in Jane's. I was completely caught up in Emma's interpersonal growth and her friends' various dramas.

Do you have to read Jane Eyre first?

I don't know. I didn't. I'm sure I missed a bunch of nods to the original (which was a bummer because that's one of my favorite parts of retellings), and I know I got a ton of spoilers.

Overall though, I think it's not necessary to have read the original. I never felt lost or left out for having not read Jane Eyre. Emma's journey stands well on its own, and if her growth takes a cue from Jane, it does not diminish Emma's triumphs.

Bottom line

This isn't my kind of book at all, so the fact that I read it cover to cover, loved the narrator, and actually found enjoyment is saying something. Contemporary issues readers should like it a whole lot more and will probably really appreciate the way Jane Eyre was used to guide Emma.

Eve Marie Mont's sensitive handling of intense issues, beautiful writing, creativity, and ability to craft well-developed characters make her a welcome addition to the ranks of YA authors. There will be two more books in this series as Emma gets sucked into The Scarlet Letter and The Phantom of the Opera. I'm not really sure how that will work given Emma's mode of travel in A Breath of Eyre, but I have faith that Eve Marie Mont will pull it off.


Explanation of rating system: Star Rating Key 




Do you have any questions about A Breath of Eyre that I haven't addressed?
Feel free to ask in the comments!


Want to win a copy? Click here to enter!

Add it on Goodreads

But it on Amazon


Looking for another book like this? 


You might like: 

Click on the covers to go to my reviews.

37 comments:

  1. Mmm. yeah, you know, I was expecting something different from what you describe in your review. Like I thought most of the book not to take place in the current world.

    I do think I would like Emma though, so I'm keeping this one in the list :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree, I wasn't expecting so much of it to take place in current times. I think you would like Emma too (and her crush!) :)

      Delete
  2. I've not read Jane Eyre either. I didn't even think of picking this one up for fear it would be like assigned reading. After reading your review, I find its something completely different. I'm learning thought that I'm not a big issues book reader either. I used to be but then I discovered there was so much more fun stuff to read. You did a fantastic job fairly reviewing this book. I think I may like it if I were in the right mood for this type of story. I LOVE your similes, especially the one about the wool sweater, I can really relate to that! But for me its more like wearing an itchy wool hat.....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha I love your itchy wool hat description! Uncomfortable, but less consuming than my discomfort :P

      This definitely doesn't feel like assigned reading. It has a lot of heavy issues, but it's not dreary like Breadcrumbs.

      Delete
  3. I think they should have came up with better cover copy. The synop makes it seem like this is a time travel book. I know the book you described would disappoint me if I picked it up expecting to see Emma in Jane's world (which I would have based on the synop).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The cover really drew me in, but I agree, it is misleading. I think it might lead to more disappointed readers who will be surprised with the amount of contemporary stuff in there, and I think it might turn off readers looking for contemporary reads who would otherwise love this book.

      At least she does actually wear that purple dress in the book :)

      Delete
  4. You should definitely read Jane Eyre-seriously it's really good!

    I obviously did not read the synopsis because I totally thought this was a straight historical novel or maybe sort of historical fantasy. Didn't know anything about time travel or contemporary issues. Saying that, I like those aspects so hopefully this will be a better read for me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know! I had every intention of reading it before I read A Breath of Eyre, but time was against me :(

      I can see you liking this book, and I'm curious to see what fans of Jane Eyre think of it.

      Delete
  5. I'm slow but steadily making my way through Jayne Eyre, and I think I'll wait until I've finished it before I read this book, as it contains spoilers. I love your review! The fact that you still liked some things while it wasn't your kind of read tells a lot about the book (:

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would wait. I wish I had the time to read Jane Eyre first. I get the feeling lots of little things were subtly integrated, and I'm sad that I missed out on them.

      Yes, I hope people read my review instead of just looking at the stars, because you're exactly right—the fact that *I* liked it this much really does say something.

      Delete
  6. I really like historical fiction books featuring time travelers, but I'm not sure I would enjoy this one. I find big issues daunting and forceful and I'm not sure I'd fall into it very well. Though, from the way you describe the heroine, I might just give it a whirl for her.

    Asher

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't like big issues either, but the fact that Emma was so good helped. She didn't get bogged down in the issues—she swam through them.

      Delete
  7. This sounds like one that you almost have to be a fan of Jan Eyre to really get into. I am not one of those people; I tried and tried but it just didn't work for me...


    -Jac @ For Love and Books

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hm, it's hard for me to say since I haven't read JE. I'd cautiously say though that I don't think you need to be a fan. I was not a fan of Rochester in this version.

      Delete
  8. This sounds really interesting to me actually, I absolutely loved Jane Eyre (you really should read it, it's good!) I really like the idea of her getting lost in JE and using it to get through her issues. Thanks for the review!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you enjoy the book! I will read Jane Eyre (eventually :P)

      Delete
  9. "Barring that, I was expecting to get caught up in the Gothic romance of Jane Eyre. Which, to be honest, is probably me setting myself up for a fall because I've, um, neveractuallyreadJaneEyre. So I really don't think I was in a position to have accurate expectations. " ----You are too funny! You need to read Jane Eyre!

    But I can see where it disappointed...I think that I would have hoped for the same elements and would not have expected it to be so issue heavy!

    ♥ Melissa @ Melissa's Eclectic Bookshelf

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks :D I really do need to read JE. It's a little embarrassing having not read it. :P

      Delete
  10. Oh I'm glad for the heads up! That's exactly the kind of retelling I was expecting. I still plan to give it a try though. Think you'll ever get around to Jane Eyre? :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you like it! I do plan on reading JE. If for no other reason than I have your double classic challenge to consider ;)

      Delete
  11. This is one of your best reviews, I think. You clearly lay out what is there to like, and why it didn't meet your expectations but why it could still meet ours. Does it get more objective than that? You have a hidden talent, Small!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Ok, now I feel dumb. I totally had this book pinned as a breezy, light, retelling/homage to the original story. So thank you for pointing all the contemporary issues out. While there are some similar issues addressed in Jane Eyre, especially classism and mental illness, I'm now super curious as to how this all addressed in the contemporary and "literary" setting. With that said, I look forward to reading this one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Don't feel dumb, I thought the same thing :) I'll be keeping an eye out for your review when you read this one.

      Delete
  13. I totally loved this book! I didn't know what to look for, considering I was disappointed with Little Women and Me. No wow factor. This one blew me away. I, do read issue books, but I really didn't feel like this was one of those, I thought it was more like contemporary fiction with a twist.
    It reminded me of Moon Glass by Jess Kirby. I thought for sure you'd love it with the boarding school, broody romantic lead, gothic setting.

    I'm glad you liked Emma, I did too.
    Heather

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. See, I would lump Moonglass in as an issues book (which is why I haven't read it). I have really loose tolerances :P

      The romantic lead was a little *too* broody for my taste. He was too emotionally vulnerable.

      There was a lot I did like about it, it's just not on the same level for me as, say, one of my favorite fantasy books.

      Delete
  14. Too bad this didn't work for you. I loved how you reviewed it. There are a lot of books that I think are good but just aren't for me. You did the perfect job of showing readers why they should or shouldn't read this.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! That's exactly it. This is a very good book, it's just not MY kind of book.

      Delete
  15. Lovely review! I know exactly what you mean. This happened to me recently. I don't like issue reads. Sometimes I can handle one or two issues but when I'm thrown like 4 major issues, it is so overwhelming. It just isn't my kind of read. I've read Jane Eyre but I'm not sure if this one would work for me either.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Given your recent post, I don't think this is the type of book you're probably looking for. But, as far as issue books go, this one wasn't as overwhelming for me so if you're ever looking for a heavier book you might want to try it.

      Delete
  16. I've read a number of mixed reactions to this book, SR, so I don't think you're alone in the way you felt. Loved your review, though--it's so thorough, and very much appreciated.

    Wendy @ The Midnight Garden

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! This is one of those times where I don't mind being alone at all. It's a good book and I hope it finds the right readers for it.

      Delete
  17. Awwww...geez! I thought this one was a historical novel. I don't know what I was thinking. I'm not much of a cotemp issues book kinda gal. I've read Jane Eyre, but really there's only so many twists you can do with the story. This doesn't sound like my kind book either. Oh well! Great review :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's part historical :) I think it was less a twist on JE and more the main character using JE to help her work through her own issues. But every book can't be for every reader :)

      Delete
  18. This definitely does not sound like my kind of book either. Though reading your review has made me think more than ever that I should read Jane Eyre once and for all.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh good! Another person who hasn't read Jane Eyre yet :P

      Delete
  19. I thought this one would have more time travel so it's nice that you warned ahead of time not to expect that. I haven't read Jane Eyre either, Small, but I like the way you described Emma and hope to enjoy this one more than you since I very much enjoy books full of issues. Lol, I guess I just like knowing that my life can't get as bad as some characters'.

    ReplyDelete

It's all about friendly conversation here at Small Review :) I'd love to hear your thoughts!

Be sure to check back again because I do make every effort to reply to your comments here.

Because I am absolutely terrible about following through with blog awards, I can't in good conscience accept any more. Thank you very much for thinking of me though!

Spam WILL be deleted. Attacks on myself or other comments WILL be deleted.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...