Wednesday, April 6, 2011

Waiting on Wednesday (18)

Button from Bewitched Bookworms.

Waiting on Wednesday is a weekly meme hosted by Jill at Breaking the Spine where we all feature upcoming books we're eagerly anticipating.

I've altered things a little to include one book that hasn't come out yet and one but that has already been published but I still haven't gotten around to reading yet.





My Unfair Godmother by Janette Rallison
Release Date: April 12, 2011
Only one week away!
Publisher: Walker Books for Young Readers

Pages: 320


From Goodreads: 


Tansy Miller has always felt that her divorced father has never had enough time for her. But mistakenly getting caught on the wrong side of the law wasn't exactly how she wanted to get his attention. Enter Chrysanthemum "Chrissy" Everstar, Tansy's fairy in shining, er, high heels. Chrissy is only a fair godmother, of course, so Tansy's three wishes don't exactly go according to plan. And if bringing Robin Hood to the twenty-first century isn't bad enough for Tansy, being transported back to the Middle Ages to deal with Rumpelstiltskin certainly is. She'll need the help of her blended family, her wits, and especially the cute police chief 's son to stop the gold-spinning story from spinning wildly out of control. Janette Rallison pulls out all the stops in this fresh, fun-filled follow-up to the popular My Fair Godmother.

I adored the first book My Fair Godmother so, so much. Like, Special Shelf adoration. The first book ended as a standalone and it looks like My Unfair Godmother is more of a companion novel than a sequel with an entirely new cast except for the adorably inept fairy-godmother-in-training Chrissy. Janette Rallison is one of my favorite authors, combining likable characters, feel-good resolutions, and hilarious wit. I cannot wait to find out the hilarious situations and fractured fairy tales Chrissy will whisk our hero to next. 


Generation Dead by Daniel Waters
Release Date: May 6, 2008
Publisher: Hyperion

Pages: 392


From Goodreads:


Phoebe Kendall is just your typical Goth girl with a crush. He’s strong and silent…and dead.
All over the country, a strange phenomenon is occurring. Some teenagers who die aren't staying dead. But when they come back to life, they are no longer the same. Feared and misunderstood, they are doing their best to blend into a society that doesn’t want them.
The administration at Oakvale High attempts to be more welcoming of the “differently biotic." But the students don’t want to take classes or eat in the cafeteria next to someone who isn’t breathing. And there are no laws that exist to protect the “living impaired” from the people who want them to disappear—for good.
When Phoebe falls for Tommy Williams, the leader of the dead kids, no one can believe it; not her best friend, Margi, and especially not her neighbor, Adam, the star of the football team. Adam has feelings for Phoebe that run much deeper than just friendship; he would do anything for her. But what if protecting Tommy is the one thing that would make her happy?
 
I’ve been on the fence about this series because, well, I’m having a hard time accepting the idea of attractive zombies. It’s not that I don’t think the dead can’t be hot. Just look at vampires and ghosts. I’m all over them. But zombies? I can’t help but associate them with rotting corpses stupidly shuffling after your brains. So the premise is a little hard for me to swallow, and yet…there’s something that keeps drawing me to these books. I just want to read the first book already so I can stop wondering and just know. Plus, I own a copy of the second book, so it would be nice to read it.





While you are waiting for your books, you can
click here to submit your reviews for the next Review Comparison!

11 comments:

  1. Oooohh!! I just pre-ordered My Unfair Godmother and I'm soooo excited to get it in! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. ^.^ I'm really looking forward to My Unfair Godmother too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I loved Janette Rallison too! She is my favorite author, her books are amazing! I can't wait either!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I haven't read either of the Godmother books, but they do sound interesting.

    I've already declared myself anti-Zombie, though I did give the Generation Dead books a try. I almost got into it, but my prejudice against the living impaired got in my way.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm very intrigued about the Unfair Godmother series, I think I'm going to buy it when I go to the States in May or June.

    :D

    Generation Dead, I have it, I sort of was a bit meh about it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great picks. They both sound like fun and have such unique and funky covers :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love the covers of the Janette Rallison books, they're so cute!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I agree that zombies are kind of yucky and certainly not something I would ever fall in love with.

    FYI - This post didn't show up in my Google Reader for some reason.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sierra, Sniffly Kitty, and Lulu, Yay for Janette Rallison fans! Have you been entering the contests she’s been holding on her blog? She’s giving away a bunch of her books (including My Unfair Godmother) from now until the release of My Unfair Godmother!

    Rubita, The Godmother books, at least the one I read, is sooo good! Sweet romance, great MC, and laugh out loud hilarious! LOL at your “prejudice against the living impaired” :P I hope I can get beyond that, but I guess I’ll find out!

    Samita, Me too! The covers are really what draw me to the series. The colors are so eye-catching.

    Alex, You should totally read the Godmother series! Given your movie and book likes, I think you’d enjoy them. I’m afraid I won’t like the Generation Dead books either, but I’m so curious.

    Nic, Thanks! I really like their covers too. I like all the bright colors. Yep, I’m that easy.

    Danya, They really are. I can’t decide whether I like her cartoon covers or her real people covers more. Both kinds are adorable.

    Logan, Right? How can I crush on a zombie? And if I can, then are they really zombies? Thanks for the heads up. This post didn’t show up on my google reader either! I have no idea why…

    ReplyDelete
  10. Both these books look lighthearted and cute. I hope you get them and have the opportunity to review them. I'd like to know more about what's going on.

    ReplyDelete

It's all about friendly conversation here at Small Review :) I'd love to hear your thoughts!

Be sure to check back again because I do make every effort to reply to your comments here.

Because I am absolutely terrible about following through with blog awards, I can't in good conscience accept any more. Thank you very much for thinking of me though!

Spam WILL be deleted. Attacks on myself or other comments WILL be deleted.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...