Thursday, April 7, 2011

How to Increase SEO with Post Titles



How to Increase SEO with Post Titles



What You Will Learn


You want people to come to your blog, right? One of the biggest ways people navigate the internet is through search engines like Google, Yahoo, Bing, etc. But how do you get your blog to show up on these sites? 

SEO is an acronym for “Search Engine Optimization” and basically means doing things to make your site appear higher in search engine results. One way is by using relevant post titles. 

In this post, I’ll show you how to make relevant post titles that should help increase traffic to your blog. Like all things related to SEO, this is just one factor of many. To learn about another factor, see my previous two-part series about How to Maximize Links.


Let's Do This!



What you DON'T want to do:  

We’ve all seen quirky post titles, and many of us have probably written them ourselves. You know what I mean: “The One Where I Embarrass Myself,” “I Loved This Book!”  “Drum Roll Please…” As funny or cute as they may be, they’re pretty much useless when it comes to boosting your SEO.  

Sometimes it doesn’t matter. Do you really care if your “I’ve been taking midterms and that’s why I haven’t been posting” message gets found by Google? Probably not. But, as a book reviewer, you do want your reviews to come up.


What you DO want to do: 

The first thing you want to do is to think about what your post is about. Are you writing a book review? Participating in a meme? Interviewing an author? Whatever the topic, you want to make sure your post title relates to the main subject of your post. 

Writing BR or some other abbreviation for your book reviews is good for your readers, but Google doesn’t know what you mean. Spell it out. If you write “Review” that’s good. If you write “Book Review” that’s even better. 

If you’re writing a review, make sure you include the title and author. If you’re interviewing an author, make sure you include the author’s full name. Writing something like “Chatting with Julie” is cute, but “Author Interview: Julie Kagawa” is better for search engines.




The form is anonymous, so please don't feel shy at all!

I'm certainly not an expert, but I'll try my hardest to explain what I do know and research what I don't know.

Click here to read previous How To Posts 

17 comments:

  1. Ooh, thanks for this post! I still use "BR" but mostly because I've used it for almost 2 years and I'm too reluctant to change :p oh wells! Great post!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've been thinking to add the Book Review thing to all my reviews (currently, they are only 'tagged' that way but it's not in the title), but I'm kind of lazy so I don't know if I'll do it, but maybe I can start doing it from now on.

    Thanks for the made of awesome post

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are the best! Don't know what I would do without your helpful tips :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I used to make up cutesy titles for my book reviews, but changed to a "Name of Book review" format, for two reasons:
    It's easier for me to find my old reviews.
    It's less work than trying to think of a clever title.

    I hadn't even thought about the fact that if it's easier for ME to find, that means it must be easier for search engines and/or the rest of the world, too!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Awesome! I'll remember these. ^^

    ReplyDelete
  6. I actually don't care about trying to gain a lot of readers. If people find my blog and like and keeping coming back to it than it's a plus, of course. ^^;;. I like to keep my blog light-hearted and fresh for me or I'll lose interest in keeping it up. I don't want to make things all serious and stuff. Heh.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I really liked this one! Especially useful for new bloggers!
    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I remember the first time you schooled us on this and it definitely helped me thing of ways to optimize my reviews and interviews.

    Thanks Smalls.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Good tips! I employ some of them, but will need to keep gearing the others ones a little better.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Yay I'm already doing that and I didn't even realise it was good for the search engines lol. Thanks for the information.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Audrey, I hear you! I’m so anti-change, even if it would be good change it just bugs me to do things differently :P

    Alex, Going backwards would be a big project, but starting from now would be much more manageable. I’d probably try setting a goal of editing five old reviews per month to make it less daunting, but actually doing it would be a different story! :)

    Nic, Thanks! I’m so glad they’re helpful!

    Madigan, I love it when my lazy impulses are actually beneficial :P As you can see, my “cute post title examples” are pretty lame. I couldn’t imagine coming up with creative titles for every post.

    ComaCalm, Glad you found this helpful!

    Need-tea, It’s funny, because your blog I actually found completely outside of the “blogging world.” I found your blog through Amazon reviews and your blog is what got me into the world of blogging. So obviously it’s working just fine for you :) Keeping blogging fun is worth more than a zillion google hits.

    Yiota, Thanks! I’m glad you found it helpful! I hope it does help new bloggers too.

    Missie, You’re welcome! Glad it’s helping you :)

    Book Geek, It’s a never-ending process for sure, but hopefully a fun one :)

    The Slowest Bookworm, You’re welcome!

    Logan, Thanks :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Excellent points. I find it easier just to stick to the simple names, especially lately. Thanks for the tips! :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Great post!
    l have tried to do this for the past 2ish months =)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thank you so much! I just love all these how-to posts :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Asher, You’re welcome! It is a lot easier, especially if you’re unimaginative like me :)

    Books for Company, Thanks! Hope it’s been working for you.

    Lamia, You’re so welcome! I’m glad they’ve been helpful to you. :)

    ReplyDelete

It's all about friendly conversation here at Small Review :) I'd love to hear your thoughts!

Be sure to check back again because I do make every effort to reply to your comments here.

Because I am absolutely terrible about following through with blog awards, I can't in good conscience accept any more. Thank you very much for thinking of me though!

Spam WILL be deleted. Attacks on myself or other comments WILL be deleted.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...