Wednesday, February 2, 2011

How to Maximize Links, part 1



How to Maximize Links

Suck readers into your blog for hours!





What You Will Learn


Have you ever looked something up on a site like Wikipedia and then, three hours later, found yourself still reading Wikipedia articles (that may or may not have anything to do with what you were originally looking up)? How did this happen? Odds are, you were sucked into their site because of all of their smartly placed links.

As a blogger, you want this phenomenon to happen on your site. You want people to read your current posts, but you don’t want your past posts to get lost in the shuffle. You want to catch readers’ interest and draw them into reading more of your blog than just what appears on the first page. 

I'll show you a few ways to strategically place links to encourage readers to browse your blog.

Let's Do This!


Method 1: The LinkWithin Widget 

Notice those squares at the bottom of my posts? They’re pictures with links to my past posts. This is the LinkWithin widget. I almost always get at least a few click-throughs a day with this widget. You can add it to your blog by going to the LinkWithin page and registering.

Registration is quick, easy, and FREE. You just type in your email, your blog link, your blog platform (Blogger, Wordpress, etc), and then your preferred number of links (I chose four).  There are a few more instructions, but they’re pretty easy to follow.



Method 2: Create a "Sneeze Page" 

The analogy the name is based on is kind of gross, but the idea is sound. Think of it this way: if you have a cold, you sneeze and tons of little particles go flying out into the air and spread your cold to other people. Gross, right?

Well, like a sneeze, you want to create one page (the sneeze) that has lots of links on it to direct people all over your blog (the particles/transmission of the cold). Get it?

If you look on my left sidebar you’ll see four pictures: Discussion Posts, Blogging Tips and Tricks, Spotlight Posts, and Cover Crazy. Each of these pictures is a link to a sneeze page. If you click on one of those pictures, it’ll bring you to a page with a list of a bunch of related links. Go on, click one and let me know if they were effective in pulling you deeper into my blog.



If anyone has any other questions or requests for future How To posts, you can either ask them in the comments or email me. Please don't feel shy at all! 

I'm certainly not an expert, but I'll try my hardest to explain what I do know and research what I don't know.

Click here to read previous How To Posts 

25 comments:

  1. Way awesome tips! If I had more time, I would totally apply these tips to my blog. Maybe I'll have more time in a month.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fabulous tips! They definitely work as I've clicked on your pictures links to sneezepages in the sidebars and link within a couple of times. It makes a blog look very organised too :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is a great explanation- so thanks! And it is totally true... Somehow I always end up going to Wikipedia, then IMDB, and then random fandom pages... *Rolls Eyes* Sneaky little bloggers... ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. These are great tips! Since I'm just starting out I will be sure to take them to heart =)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I know I have gotten lost on your blog for hours, so I believe you are on to something. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yes, you are the queen of this. Plus, all of your content is awesome which is another reason I spend all of my time here. :) I've been meaning to set this up, so thanks for the kick in the pants!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Fabulous! Do you have to manualy select links for linkwithin? I'm intersted in it, but realistically don't know if I would follow through.

    ReplyDelete
  8. The sneeze posts was my favorite part. Haha, I didn't know there was a name for that. I also didn't know whether you accepted awards when I made the post but I actually gave you one on my blog. So you can check out what I wrote on my blog while gracefully declining it ;)

    ReplyDelete
  9. oh and here is the link to it: http://lazygirlreads.blogspot.com/2011/02/i-am-so-irresistably-sweet.html

    ReplyDelete
  10. Aylee, I hear you about time! I know I should go back through my old posts and add a bunch of links, but I just haven’t gotten around to it.

    Nina, Glad you enjoyed this!

    Stephanie, Thanks for your feedback! I know these tips work on me as a reader, but I was never sure if I was implementing them properly here. Glad to hear it’s working! :D I’m an organization junkie, so you just made my day.

    Avery, You’re welcome! Haha, yup, I’ve wasted hours with all those links!

    Aliyah, Happy to be of help! There will be two more tips next week. :)

    Missie, Yes!! Good to hear it’s working :)

    Logan, Consider yourself kicked! (lightly, of course. Maybe nudged :P ) The queen? Oh, my ego loves you :)

    Alison, Nope, you just set up Linkwithin the first time and then you never have to touch it again. It does everything automatically.

    Alyssa, Thanks!

    Lazy Girl, Isn’t the name silly? :P I don’t accept awards, but that’s only because I’m terrible at passing them on! Thank you so much for thinking of me :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. That's okay, I'm glad to hear that! I need to spend more time organising my blog :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. I've never heard of this Sneeze Page....hmmm.... :)

    Thanks for the tip!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Stephanie, I don't think there's ever enough time to keep organized while blogging! Every time there's I post up a new review I have to remember to update all the other posts (index, challenges, etc). It's crazy!

    Miss Remmers, You're welcome!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love it when bloggers are willing to share their web wisdom. Thanks for the tips!

    ReplyDelete
  15. You're welcome! I try to share a little each week :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. This was a great post! I have not seen this tip before. Great tips here.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Glad you found it helpful! I'll have two more tips next week.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Great tips - thanks for that! I was wondering how you got those links at the bottom of each post, I might have to try it! :-)
    One thing I've been wondering about, if you don't mind me asking, is - I've got page breaks on each of my posts, so only the first couple of paragraphs are shown on the front page and you have to click through to read the rest of the post. I did this so my front page wouldn't be too long/slow. But I wonder if this means people are less likely to click through and read the whole post. It's hard to judge for myself! Do you have any advice?

    ReplyDelete
  19. Belle, You’re welcome! I don’t mind you asking at all! Please, ask anything :) I also have a form here if you have any other questions or suggestions for future “how to” posts.

    Personally, I don’t like the “click to read the rest of the post” format. I still read your full posts though. My computers are fast enough that it doesn’t slow me down to load a page with a bunch of posts. It’s also easier because I can more quickly read through a bunch of posts without having to click away from the main page. I admit, I’m often less likely to read the rest of the post, both out of busyness/laziness and sometimes I just don’t see the link and I think what’s shown is the whole post. But that’s just my own opinion.

    To get more opinions, maybe run a poll in your sidebar? You can add one by going into your dashboard and adding a gadget to your sidebar (blogger has a poll gadget option). You could also make a blog post asking your readers what they prefer. That’s probably what I’d do. Hope this helps!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Thanks for the feedback, that really helps! I might do as you suggest and try a poll or a post about it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  21. Small Review,

    Thanks for the tips. I added the linkwidget right away, and it worked. I will keep looking for other tips.

    Your blog is friendly to read and has a lot of helpful tips - thanks.

    John

    ReplyDelete
  22. Thanks so much! I'm glad it worked for you and that you found this post helpful.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Thank you so much for the tips. You have simplified it and made it so fun to learn. I'm taking a button to place on my blog. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete

It's all about friendly conversation here at Small Review :) I'd love to hear your thoughts!

Be sure to check back again because I do make every effort to reply to your comments here.

Because I am absolutely terrible about following through with blog awards, I can't in good conscience accept any more. Thank you very much for thinking of me though!

Spam WILL be deleted. Attacks on myself or other comments WILL be deleted.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...