Friday, February 4, 2011

Recap 1/29 to 2/4


In case you missed anything, here's a recap of what was posted Saturday, January 29th through Friday, February 4th. 



(Click on the links to go to my reviews)

Memes



Features



What's Your Status? Is a meme created by Zakiya from Butterfly Feet Walking on Life where we recap our reading week. Feel free to visit her site and link up your own What's Your Status Posts. Here's how my week went:

Finished


Kat, Incorrigible by Stephanie Burgis
(Click on the link to go to Goodreads)


The Iron Daughter
(Click on the link to go to Goodreads)

Currently Reading


(Click on the link to go to Goodreads)

Waterfall by Lisa T. Bergren
(Click on the link to go to Goodreads)

Did Not Finish


Cryer's Cross by Lisa McMann

Page 55 of 240 
Release Date: February 8, 2011
Received: ARC from publisher

I didn’t like Lisa McMann’s writing style in Wake, but I figured I’d give her another try after reading reviews for Cryer’s Cross describing it as incredibly spooky. Well, I still don’t like her writing style. It's just really not my thing at all. She writes in a very detached third-person present tense with choppy, short, and very simplistic sentences. For some reason this writing style always makes me feel like the main character is a little dim and I personally have a really hard time connecting with the characters and the story.

Both Janie from Wake and Kendall from Cryer’s Cross were girls with debilitating afflictions and both felt to me like very weak “victim” characters (I prefer strong characters so this annoyed me). It's not just that she had OCD. That doesn't need to make a character weak or a victim.

Add in the simplistic writing style and I just absolutely hated the main characters. Kendall also behaved in a very strange manner that again made me think she was much younger mentally than she was in years. I’m not talking about her OCD. I’m talking about her non-OCD interactions with people. 

The final straw was the mystery. The book opens with a paragraph narrated by a mysterious entity only know as We. You’re not supposed to know who this We is, but it’s pretty clear they’re the scary Big Bad of the book. The problem here is I figured out who We is from the get go, and I wasn’t all that impressed or scared. That first paragraph and I knew. By the time two students had gone missing I had the basics of the mystery all worked out. I found a spoiler summary online and it confirmed all of my predictions. This was so disappointing.

So, not even a quarter of the way through the book and I loathed the main character and figured out the mystery. Guess this one wasn’t for me. Based on other reviews I’ve read, readers who don’t figure out the mystery right away and who don’t mind Lisa McMann’s writing style will probably like this one, so don’t write it off completely based on my experience.


Poll Results:

Looks like a landslide to me! So from now on I will try to send emails when I respond to comments. If you are one of the eight who does not wish to receive emails, please just let me know either preemptively or when I send you the first email. 


Miss anything last week? Click here to read a Recap





15 comments:

  1. Gosh!!! That sucks about Cryer's Cross! So many people gave it stellar reviews, but I'm going to trust your judgment on this one and maybe wait to get it from the library or something!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm just about to start reading Cryer's Cross. I've several positive and negative reviews. I'm wondering how if I'll like it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh makes me sad to hear you didn't like Cryers Cross. But I think her writing style is not for everyone so I do understand your point.
    I, loved it! But I also love her writing style, it took me some time to adjust to it though!

    Fabulous week for you!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've just ordered Cryers Cross and I hope I enjoy it more than you did. I haven't read any of her books yet so I can't comment on her writing style.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I agree with you in regards to McMann's writing style - it's definitely not for everyone. It bugged me first in Wake but then I started to love that detachedness (did I make that word up). I enjoyed Cryer's Cross but I definitely see your perspective! I'm currently reading The Iron King! Happy Friday!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great recap! I have had my eye on Waterfall. I definitely want to read that.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lazy Girl, I know! I was so looking forward to this really good, creepy story based on all the reviews I read. I’m always a library supporter :)

    Tara, I hope you do! I don’t think I’ve seen many negative reviews.

    Dany, It made me sad too. :( I was all ready to be spooked (I even read it at night!). Unfortunately, I just don’t click with her style. Guessing the big mystery right away didn’t help either! :P

    The Slowest Bookworm, I hope you do enjoy it! I think the writing style can really make it or break it, so I hope it works for you.

    Miss Remmers, Hehe, well, if it’s not a word it works for me! I think I’m just so much a character girl that I can’t get beyond that detachment. I’m glad you were able to warm up to her style. I liked The Iron King. Hope you’re having fun with it!

    Savannah, Thanks! I’m enjoying it so far.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow! You're so productive!! *awe*

    Looks like you had a great week :) I'm a bit intrigued about Cryer's Cross, but I don't know, it might be like those books that spook me out :P

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh can't wait to see what you think of Choker, I've heard interesting things about that one:) I think it's supposed to be dark and twisted which seems odd since the cover seems so pretty and light. Looking forward to your thoughts on that one, I always get a good idea about a book from your reviews! Have a great weekend:)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Alex, :) I'll actually be reorganizing things in the weeks to come. I think I've been a little *too* productive lately! I can't say I was afraid of Cryer's Cross, but that's because I figured it all out too soon (I'm still annoyed by that). If you're interested I'd say give it a try, during the day. :P

    Jenny, I agree about the cover. I kind of like the contrast. I'm curious to see how the cover will work with the story. I'm so glad you enjoy my reviews! Hope you have a great weekend too :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love the recap. I'm about to start Choker. Hope it's good! Too bad about Cryer's Cross but can't love them all. I hate when I figure stuff out too fast. Such a bummer!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow the cover of Choker is gorgeous, will have to check out the book!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Alyssa, Glad you like it! I'm about 50 pages into Choker and I'm wondering if I may have guessed the "big reveal" of that one too. Oh this isn't good. Usually I'm so dense I need jokes explained to me. What's going on?!

    Willa, I really like the cover. It looks even nicer in person. The flower and title are raised.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I keep reading negative reviews about Cryer's Cross and after reading yours, I just don't think I will be picking it up. Thank you for the honest review! Also, I'm really interested to see what you think about Choker since it's in my TBR pile.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Jessica, I'm curious to read these negative reviews. I think a lot hinges on her writing style. If you're not familiar with it then I'd say try to find a copy or read a preview of one of her older books to see if you like her style before writing off the book completely. So far I'm not thrilled with Choker. I'm about halfway through.

    ReplyDelete

It's all about friendly conversation here at Small Review :) I'd love to hear your thoughts!

Be sure to check back again because I do make every effort to reply to your comments here.

Because I am absolutely terrible about following through with blog awards, I can't in good conscience accept any more. Thank you very much for thinking of me though!

Spam WILL be deleted. Attacks on myself or other comments WILL be deleted.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...