Wednesday, January 5, 2011

Waiting on Wednesday (6)


Waiting on Wednesday is a weekly meme hosted by Jill at Breaking the Spine where we all feature upcoming books we're eagerly anticipating. 

The cute WoW button comes from Bewitched Bookworms.



Fins are Forever (Fins #2), by Tera Lynn Childs
Release Date: July 1, 2011
Publisher:
Katherine Tegen Books
Pages: 320
(Above publication information from Goodreads)
Author's Page 

Amazon Page
Goodreads Page


Don't read this description if you haven't read the first book!

From Goodreads:
On Lily Sanderson’s eighteenth birthday she’ll become just a girl—still a mer girl, true, but signing the renunciation paperwork will ink Princess Waterlily of Thalassinia out of existence. That leaves plain old Lily living on land, dating the boy she loves, and trying to master this being human thing once and for all.

Now that Lily and Quince are together, mer-bond or not, she’s almost content to give up her place in the royal succession of Thalassinia. But just when she thinks she has everything figured out, Lily’s father sends a certain whirlpool-stirring cousin to stay with her on land. What did Doe do to get herself exiled from Thalassinia and stuck in terraped form, when everyone knows how much she hates humans? And why why why is she batting her eyelashes at Lily’s former crush, Brody?

The seafoam on the surf comes when a merboy from Lily’s past shows up. Tellin asks Lily for something that clouds her view of the horizon. There’s a future with Quince on land, her loyalty to the kingdom in the sea, and Lily tossing on the waves in the middle. Will she find a way to reconcile her love, her duty, and her dreams?

End of spoilers!

The first book ended just fine without any major cliffhangers (ok, the epilogue gave a teeny tiny cliffhanger, but really it hardly counts), but I'm anxiously awaiting this book because I enjoyed the first one so much. The first was pure Disney-style fluff with a cotton-candy relationship that had me AWWW-ing throughout, a sweetie main character, and a love interest that perfectly blends sarcastic bad boy and super sweet good boy. If you want to hear me rave more, you can check out my Forgive My Fins review. Or, if you've read the book already, you can come and gush about spoilers in my Forgive My Fins summary post. It sounds like there's more conflict in the second book, but it also sounds like we'll be getting more frothy fun and cutie Quince!

As an added bonus, this book will fit in perfectly with a few challenges I am planning on trying:




The Thief, by Megan Whalen Turner
Release Date: 1996
Publisher:
Greenwillow Books
Pages: 280
(Above publication information from Goodreads)
Author's Page 

Amazon Page
Goodreads Page


From Goodreads:

"I can steal anything."
After Gen's bragging lands him in the king's prison, the chances of escape look slim. Then the king's scholar, the magus, needs the thief's skill for a seemingly impossible task - to steal a hidden treasure from another land. To the magus, Gen is just a tool. But Gen is a trickster and a survivor with a plan of his own.

The description doesn't mention it, but this book is supposed to be chock full of Greek mythology. I'm a big fan of Greek myths, so this one already sounds promising. I have to be honest, though, my biggest draw is Gen. Doesn't he sound like a great character? A trickster, a survivor, and I hear he's a sarcastic kind of guy, too.

I feel like this is one of those books I was supposed to read growing up but somehow managed to miss. I've heard nothing but rave reviews about this book, so I'm planning on reading it for a few 2011 challenges I will be participating in:

20 comments:

  1. I still haven't read Forgive my Fins but I really want to... Great picks this week!

    Check out my WOW!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I only first heard of The Thief a couple weeks ago but ever since then, I've read nothing but very positive reviews, just like you say. This would be a good one for the Into the Old World Reading Challenge, thanks for reminding me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I need to read the first one in this series, everyone says it's adorable and just a fun read which is nice sometimes:) I didn't read the description since I haven't read book one, thanks for that warning!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Since I haven't read Forgive My Fins I skipped the Fins Are Forever description ... but I went to the library and got my hands on both The Queen of Attolia and The King of Attolia :)

    Oh, I just wanted to let you know that Turner's gods and goddesses are her own creation although the way she writes about them seems reminiscent of Greek mythology.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Must go check out your rave review for Forgive My Finns as Fins are Forever does sound like a cute and fun read. Great picks :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. l have to say l love how you can with the 'Fins are Forever' cover they are a series and l love this cover as much! Can't read the blurb as don't want to spoil the first one.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love the Forgive my Fins so naturally I want this book as well. The ending was a shocker and left me hanging. Nice pick!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I just found your blog today...how adorable!!
    I have not read the forgive my fins, but mermaids are getting popular, I may have to..

    ReplyDelete
  9. "The Thief" sounds really intriguing! I will have to add it to my TBR pile!
    :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I've seen lots of good things about the first book. I may have to check it out.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh! I'm so unsure about this one! :)
    I loved the Oh. My. Gods books, but I didn't love Forgive my Fins. :(

    Still... I sort of want to read it, but I'll probably wait till the pb is out to get it.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love, love The Thief... One of my favorites from when I was younger. It's just wonderful :) I can't even describe how much I love it.

    PS Thanks for the catch on the Saundra Mitchell novel :) I'm such a space cadet sometimes, I swear!

    ReplyDelete
  13. here's mine http://tributebooksmama.blogspot.com/2011/01/waiting-on-wednesday.html

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh, now these are books that sound quite interesting! Must find the first book in that Fins series.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I've heard of this one, it looks good. Didn't know it was a sequel now I have to add two books to mt TBR lol!!! The second WOW may be too historical fiction like for my tastes. I'll have to read your review to help change my mind. You are so good at doing that , too!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love anything to do with God's and Goddesses even if its the author's own creation.

    My WOW

    ReplyDelete
  17. Yay! I really liked Forgive My Fins. I am really excited about a sequel.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Aylee, You’re welcome! I’m curious about your opinion on The Thief if you read it.

    Jenny, It really is sweet. It reminded me of that type of cutesy sweetness found in a Disney Channel movie (which I think is a good thing).

    A Canadian Girl, Huh, I did not know they were her own created gods! Thanks for the heads up. I wonder if I would have been really confused wondering, “Hey, how did I miss knowing about all these gods??” :P

    Nic, It is cute and fun!

    Books for Company, I like how the covers match too. I prefer the first one, but neither girl looks *right* for me. I do like the colors though.

    Savannah, Yes, I can’t wait to see what trouble Doe caused.

    Tina, Thank you! Mermaids do seem to be the next big thing.

    Avery, I’ve heard nothing but great things!

    Logan, It’s so so cute :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. AnimeGirl, Aw, I haven’t read her other books, so I don’t know how they compare. It sounds like the sequel might have more plot/action than the first. If I were on the fence I’d wait until a bunch of review had come out.

    Emma, Yay! I’m so glad to hear that! I don’t think I’ve heard a single complaint about this book.

    BookishHobbit, They’re sweet and cute, but don’t expect a lot of action!

    Gina, Haha, the TBR never stops growing! I’ll let you know about the second one. I just found out from A Canadian Girl’s comment that they aren’t historical gods, so who knows! I’m happy to hear I can convince you otherwise :P

    BLHmistress, Me too. I think they add a fun aspect to stories.

    Rebecca, Me too! I hope there’s a lot of good Quince time. :)

    ReplyDelete

It's all about friendly conversation here at Small Review :) I'd love to hear your thoughts!

Be sure to check back again because I do make every effort to reply to your comments here.

Because I am absolutely terrible about following through with blog awards, I can't in good conscience accept any more. Thank you very much for thinking of me though!

Spam WILL be deleted. Attacks on myself or other comments WILL be deleted.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...