Sunday, July 31, 2011

In My Mailbox (24)

In My Mailbox is a meme started by Kristi at The Story Siren with some inspiration from Alea of Pop Culture Junkie where we get to post about the books we receive each week through publishers/authors, our own purchases, contests won, and libraries.

This mailbox is for the past two weeks. 



For Review


The Iron Knight (The Iron Fey #4) by Julie Kagawa

I had zero interest in this book for the longest time. I was Team Puck all the way and I couldn't care less about Ash's stupid story. At least, that was until I read The Iron Queen and I became a total Team Ash fan (complete with cheerleading and shoulder-padded pink shirt of love. Um, check out my The Iron Queen review for clarification on that). Now I can't wait! It's going to be so much more than Ash's story.

If only the cover were different! Bleh, that's so NOT my Ash.

Click to make larger

Glow (Sky Chasers #1) by Amy Kathleen Ryan

I've read some meh reviews and some glowing reviews, but most types said the same thing: If you've read Across the Universe then you'll probably be more "meh" than not. Luckily, I haven't read Across the Universe (and I actually have very little interest in reading it), so I can enter Glow without any comparisons in mind. 

Wish I had the other cover with the pretty sparkly stars. This one makes me think she's hanging over a toilet bowl and getting ready to barf. But at least she's doing it with pretty glowey lights beaming around her head, so that's a plus.

My Sparkling Misfortune by Laura Lond

This one arrived on Friday and I started reading as soon as I opened the envelope. It's short, so I finished it that day and I loved it! Highly recommended (and you can get it for super cheap on Amazon as an e-book and it's totally worth it). I'll post a full review soon.

Thank you HarlequinTeen, NetGalley, St. Martin's Griffin, and Laura Lond!


Bought

Click to make larger


Eragon by Christopher Paolini

I've already read this and I'm not sure if I like this book or even want it, but it was fifty cents at a tag sale and it's a hardcover in near-perfect condition. How could I say no? I'm sure there's some kind of 12-step program I can enroll in for people who compulsively buy every book they've ever read and maybe might sort of like, but whatever. Can the character Murtagh be an acceptable excuse for ownership?

*swoon* Who needs Eragon?


Green Rider (Green Rider #1) by Kristen Britain
First Rider's Call (Green Rider #2) by Kristen Britain 

 
I've had this series on my TBR for forever so I grabbed these two at the sale also. Maybe now I'll get to reading it sometime this decade! Or, you know, let it sit on my shelves unread making me feel guilty while I pass over it for shiny new books. No, no, I'll be good. I WILL read it soon! Probably.

Daughter of the Forest by Juliet Marillier

Fate has intervened! A few weeks ago I wrote a Spotlight List post about Fantasy Authors I Should Have Read where I confessed a list of fantasy authors who are paragons of the genre but I somehow managed to have missed out on reading (I know. Embarrassing). Juliet Marillier was one of those authors and many wonderful and much more well-read commenters gushed about this very book. Well, when I saw it at the sale (for fifty cents!) I snatched that sucker up! Who knows when I'll get around to reading it, but I'm one step closer now. And at least now I'll look well-read with this baby sitting on my shelf.



Won and other awesomeness

Click to make larger

The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins

I won this from Tessa @ From the Bookshelf of T.B.! Not only did I get this super cool book from her, but she bought a hardcover edition!! How awesome is she? Full of win. Thank you Tessa! This means it matches the hardcovers I had already bought of books 2 and 3! Yay! I can now line them all up on my shelf and they'll look pretty and matching and maybe, maybe, maybe someday soon I'll actually read them! I know, I know. Look, first I was waiting for all the books to be published and then some no good rotten butt head took the copy we have in my library and we haven't gotten it back in months, so really, it wasn't my fault that I haven't read the series yet. But now I have no more excuses. Feel free to make me feel ashamed until I read them.


Click to make larger

Swag of Awesome

A little while ago I sent Asher @ Paranormal Indulgence a few bookmarks, and I guess what they say about karma is true. That, or Asher is made of love and win (which is what I'm betting on)! Look at what she sent me! Totally out of the blue as a joyful mailbox surprise. I've already used the Luminous bookmark for two books and it is purple and beautiful! Plus, do you see that bookmark for The Faerie Ring? Signed! Thank you Asher!

Click to make larger

More Awesome Swag

The super sweet Jennifer Estep (who wrote the awesome-you-should-totally-read-it book Touch of Frost) sent me some swag to spread around. I've already been spreading the love at my library, but I'm more than happy to share the love with you too. If you want one, just email me with your mailing address (US only please! I'm sorry!) and I'll send some out to the first five people who email me.


What did you get this week? Has anyone read any of these books yet? Did you like them? 
Feel free to comment with links to your mailboxes or your reviews of these books!

34 comments:

  1. Awesome IMM! Yay for Team Ash! I just finished The Iron King today, and I am firmly Team Ash. I can't wait to read the rest of the series. I just got approved for The Iron Knight on Netgalley, so I need to hurry up and read The Iron Daughter and the Iron Queen!

    Lol, I got Glow this week too. I think everyone did! The whole Facebook giveaway of 1,000 ARCs had something to do with it, lol.

    Here's my IMM: http://www.whatsyourstorybookreviews.com/2011/07/in-my-mailbox-32.html

    Happy Reading!
    Ashley

    ReplyDelete
  2. Small your mailbox is AWESOME! Love The Hunger Games! I really hope you do too. And I agree about the Glow cover now that you have mentioned it. It does look like she isn't feeling very well. LOL.

    And I have The Iron Knight as well. I lurve Ash but agree that is not how I pictured him either (the guy is okay though).

    Happy reading :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I thought I had a crush on the actor Garret Hedlund, but I think I just have a crush on his character Murtagh. *lol*

    I can't wait to hear what you think of Daughter of the Forest!

    And do not feel bad. I haven't read The Hunger Games trilogy either.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hope you get to The Hunger Games soon-really interested in seeing your thoughts.

    I have never heard of Glow but I read Across the Universe and mostly enjoyed it so I'll probably end up skipping it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Awesome IMM this week! I also got The Iron Knight-- Yay!
    I loved The Hunger Games, hope you like it. Happy Reading :)

    New To My Stash

    ReplyDelete
  6. Aw apparently I missed out on this Glow madness-im seeing it everywhere :(
    On a better note, mm Murtagh. I'd watch that horrible movie just for him lol and the books pretty good too!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Awesome week. Hope you enjoy The Iron Knight :) Donna
    Our IMM

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great mailbox! And I agree, who needs aragon?!
    my IMM http://ratherbarefoot.blogspot.com/2011/07/in-my-mailbox-8.html

    ReplyDelete
  9. Of course it's acceptable to like Eragon for Murtagh only!! I do too XD Eragon was okay at first but now he is kinda annoying. And now matter how bad Murtagh is, i like him. Roran starting to be interesting as well lately XD

    Splash of our Worlds Mailbox

    ReplyDelete
  10. You haven't read The Hunger Games? *gasps* *makes you feel ashamed* :P

    LOL, I've never thought of the Glow cover like that before, but now that you mention it I do see what you mean about the toilet bowl image :D

    ReplyDelete
  11. I didn't think I ever meet a librarian who hadn't read THG yet. JS.

    And LOL on Ash's stupid story. Glad you finally embraced the chill.

    Awesome swag!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow Glow looks awesome!!!! And I can't believe you won The Hunger Games! I loved it and seriously need a copy of my own. I hope you enjoy all you got! Here's my IMM if you want to check it out! Happy reading!

    -Jessica (Peace Love Books)

    ReplyDelete
  13. You had such a great week this week! I'm so excited to read the Iron Knight, when I saw it on NetGalley I may or may not have done a happy dance:) I'm really excited for Glow too, I have high hopes for that one!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Yay for awesome swag! And Glow (which looks super cool sitting in my TBR pile)!! I just got approved for The Iron Knight the other day and can't wait to get started.

    Happy Reading :)

    My IMM

    ReplyDelete
  15. *sigh* If there is such a 12-step program, please send it my way! I kind of liked Eragon when I read it, but the second book killed it for me. But yessss Murtagh is such an eye-cande~

    Great books this week!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I heart Murtagh. Eragon likes to play See Eragon Think WAY too much in his books. It gets on quite a few of my nerves. So, I'm all for using Murtagh as an acceptable excuse for ownership. Also, I would have bought the book too! Book buying all the time is SO not an addiction, it's a hobby.:D

    Jen
    In the Closet With a Bibliophile

    ReplyDelete
  17. I have the same philosophy about The Hunger Games. Gotta collect them all before I can read them. I love the feel of hardcovers. Great books this week!

    Here's my IMM: http://bit.ly/qadpcl

    ReplyDelete
  18. You got Daughter of the Forest!! YAY!!!
    I hope you like it!
    If the beginning is slow, try to stick to it, I promise it will be worth it when you meet Red :D

    ReplyDelete
  19. Woah small! You have one flipping awesome mailbox here! :)
    Ok, Green Rider. I keep hearing they're amazing, and I tried to read the first one but got distracted/wasnt that interested in the first few pages...lol I know, I know. It was lame of me to put it down so fast. I own First Rider's Call, which I was going to sell but I'll keep it now...if you say Green Rider is any good. ;)
    Ok, so Eragon is just an ok book (I assume you've read it), but Murtagh is ALWAYS an acceptable excuse. ALWAYS. That picture made me swoon, don't even remind me of how much I love Garrett Hedlund! (He looks gorgeous in his Tron body suit...mmmm....)
    I haven't read Hunger Games either, but I want to! I love it when my editions match...always a bonus. :)
    Great IMM! :D

    ReplyDelete
  20. Great set! Yay for Iron Knight. I'm reading it right now and really loving it. Tons of Ash, Puck, and Grimalkin.
    My IMM

    ReplyDelete
  21. Looks like you got some awesome books! You'll have to make sure to read the Hunger Games before the movie comes out. Enjoy your books!

    My post is here: http://themortalslibrary.blogspot.com/2011/07/in-my-mailbox15-vlog.html

    - Amanda

    ReplyDelete
  22. Great IMM! I haven't read the Iron Fey series yet, but I probably should. And I'm so jealous you got Glow! Looks so good! Also, YOU HAVEN'T READ THE HUNGER GAMES? Shame on you! LOL jks. I'm sure you'll love 'em!
    My IMM!

    ReplyDelete
  23. You got Glow? I will trade you all of my books for Glow. Well, some of them at least. Lucky you!
    If you click on me, you will get back to my blog! Thanks Small!

    ReplyDelete
  24. new follower :)

    Wow you got Iron Knight?!! I can't wait to get my hands on that one!!
    Check out my in my mailbox!!

    http://sarahcatchingbooks.blogspot.com/2011/07/in-my-mailbox-5.html

    ReplyDelete
  25. Ok, so I'm pretty sure every mailbox I've gone to has Glow which makes me a little jealous because it sounds amazing, and I haven't read AtU either so I would have nothing to compare it to. It'll be interesting to see what you think of the hunger games once you read them I was like eh on the first book so I still haven't read the other two.

    ReplyDelete
  26. I ADORE Daughter of the Forest--and I don't even usually like fantasy. Hope you enjoy it! Here's my IMM, if you want to check it out: http://booklightgraveyard.blogspot.com/2011/07/in-my-mailbox-4.html

    ReplyDelete
  27. I can't wait to hear what you think of Glow! I have't read Across The Universe either, so hopefully I'll really enjoy Glow when I get a chance to read it! Oh, and you're very welcome! I really hope you like The Hunger Games, and I'm glad it will match the rest of your series :D It always irks me when I have a series that is a mix of paperback and hardcover. Awesome Mailbox!

    ReplyDelete
  28. Who needs Eragon?? I second that with Lots of Passion!!! totally swoon worthy.

    Great IMM!!! Hope you enjoy all of your reads!!! :))

    ReplyDelete
  29. I do exactly the same as you when I see a book I've read and thought was just okay at a second hand bookshop for a good price! For some reason, I love having lots of the books I've read on my shelves because it reminds me of them. We're in the same boat R.E the Hunger Games so we can wallow in our shame together ;)

    ReplyDelete
  30. Loved, loved My Sparkling Misfortune by Laura Lond! A fabulous read! :)

    ReplyDelete
  31. I have an ecopy of My Sparkling Misfortune that I still need to read. Oh, I'm so behind. Good to know it's a quick one. This is a mailbox full of win!!

    ReplyDelete
  32. I loved My Sparkling Misfortune too! Wasn't it so perky and sweet?

    ReplyDelete
  33. I can't wait to read the Iron Fey series as well :D

    ReplyDelete
  34. Great books, I hope you read Glow soon so I can see what you think =)

    ReplyDelete

It's all about friendly conversation here at Small Review :) I'd love to hear your thoughts!

Be sure to check back again because I do make every effort to reply to your comments here.

Because I am absolutely terrible about following through with blog awards, I can't in good conscience accept any more. Thank you very much for thinking of me though!

Spam WILL be deleted. Attacks on myself or other comments WILL be deleted.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...