Sunday, April 1, 2012

Book Review: The False Prince by Jennifer A. Nielsen


The False Prince by Jennifer A. Nielsen
#1 in the Ascendance Trilogy
Release Date: April 1, 2012
Publisher: Scholastic
Pages: 342
Received: ARC from publisher
Rating: 5 out of 5 stars, Special Shelf


Summary

From Goodreads:

In a discontent kingdom, civil war is brewing. To unify the divided people, Conner, a nobleman of the court, devises a cunning plan to find an impersonator of the king’s long-lost son and install him as a puppet prince. Four orphans are recruited to compete for the role, including a defiant boy named Sage. Sage knows that Conner’s motives are more than questionable, yet his life balances on a sword’s point—he must be chosen to play the prince or he will certainly be killed. But Sage’s rivals have their own agendas as well.

As Sage moves from a rundown orphanage to Conner’s sumptuous palace, layer upon layer of treachery and deceit unfold, until finally, a truth is revealed that, in the end, may very well prove more dangerous than all of the lies taken together.

An extraordinary adventure filled with danger and action, lies and deadly truths that will have readers clinging to the edge of their seats.



Review

I call dibs on Sage
(seriously ladies—don't underestimate me 'cause I'm small. I'll fight dirty.)

I knew this was going to be a Special Shelf book as soon as I "heard" Sage's voice narrating. Really, the story could have been downright awful (it isn't) and I still would have Special Shelved The False Prince on the strength of his voice alone.

Sage embodies the personality of my number one most coveted male character type ever (yes, even over alpha men). The swoon is near uncontrollable. Luckily I was saved from being a total creeper lusting after a fifteen year old, because Sage's voice makes it very easy to imagine him as a completely adult 20 something.

Sage is one of those characters who has Sherlock Holmes Superpowers of Observation and Fantasticness. Which is to say, he's always about ten steps ahead of everyone, can deduce master plans from a discarded gum wrapper, and pulls it all off with the type of suave demeanor that never fails to make my knees wobble.

Plus, he's an underdog with attitude and I have a massive weakness for hot underdogs with swaggering attitude. Sage never seems to be able to resist needling those who lord over him, even if it means he'll get a bruise for his quip. He also lies like a pro, so that combined with his stealth and sneakiness make him the type of character that makes a great thief or conman.

Basically, think Han Solo plus Sherlock Holmes' brains plus extra hotness and a smidgen of vulnerability and you've pretty much got Sage.

Slow burn pacing

As much as I love fast-paced books, my favorite kinds of books actually have a slow-burn pace (NOT to be confused with a sloooow pace, which is chock full of a lot of boring filler). In a slow-burn pace, plot details come together like a puzzle, with intrigue building steadily and keeping me on my toes throughout the whole book. Like a slow-burn romance, slow-burn pacing strings me along with delicious little morsels and makes me beg for more and more.

The majority of The False Prince takes place in Conner's castle (the noble with The Plan) as he trains the boys and maliciously toys with their emotions (because, you see, only the guy that's picked to impersonate the prince gets to live).

Backstabbing (literally!) and shaky alliances abound amid secrets, lies, and a truth you may or may not see coming but is so astoundingly great that surprise level doesn't even matter (I did guess the broad strokes early on, but the details were a surprise that darn near broke my heart).

This is the first book in a series and it's very clear by the end of the book that there's a lot more to come in this story. Thankfully there isn't a dangling-by-your-fingertips cliffhanger, but it is very much like the end of The Fellowship of the Ring (the movie) where the first part of the quest is finished, the whole fellowship is broken, Frodo is poised to just walk into Mordor, and Aragorn is as hot as ever.

So, yeah, I'm satisfied with everything I got and I can wait without suffering a heart attack because I know Sage is ok, but BIG STUFF is coming and I cannot wait to be a part of it!

I can't NOT mention the romance

The plot isn't the only thing set on slow burn. Yes, that's right! Slow-burn romance! But really, it's very slow burn because not much happens in this first book outside of lots of scenes with delicious tension. There's even a touch of, well, it's not quite hate-turned-love, but there's a little combativeness there and she isn't exactly falling all over herself to be with him (and, no, she isn't insane or blind, if you can believe it!).

Really though, I'm not complaining at all. I'm firmly on the side that thinks it's much better to have the romance come together later on in the series.

Bottom line

I really...I can't...I just, I'm so unbelievably in love with The False Prince I don't even have the words to describe it. I'm so busy right now with packing and trying to get everything together to move in a few weeks, but I was very irresponsible because I pushed everything aside (including sleep AND food) just so I could devour this book.

And then I went through serious mourning when I finished because of course there aren't any other books in the series yet and all of my other Special Shelf books are packed away. So I went back and reread all of my favorite scenes in The False Prince. And then all the other scenes. And then I read my favorite scenes again. And then I tried to read other books on my TBR but they're just not The False Prince and I think I'm going to cry I'm so desperate for more.

Or, to put it in food terms, if I were given the choice between reading this book or attending an unlimited pastry banquet filled with every delectable treat imaginable, I would choose The False Prince—HANDS DOWN.

I can think of no higher praise than that.



Explanation of rating system: Star Rating Key 


Do you have any questions about The False Prince that I haven't addressed?
Feel free to ask in the comments!



Do you know any male characters that sound like Sage? 
If you do, PLEASE share in the comments!

 Add it to Goodreads
Buy it on Amazon


(I made sure to post this AFTER the release so you don't have to torture yourselves. No more waiting!)



Looking for another book like this? 
You might like: 


Click on the covers to go to Goodreads.

52 comments:

  1. GAH! I just added this to my TBR - I MUST have it... And did I read that right? It's coming out tomorrow? Yay! I will buy it pronto! The fact that your gushing over it, well I'm sure its worth the money! Seriously, books that you recommend I love to death :) You brought out points that have me fan girling already - a slow burning plot (yes please!), a slow burning romance (more pleases!), lies/secrets/princes/non-cliffhanger ending (givemeee!), AND a male MC like *that* (I think I died a bit there). Great review Small, thanks for posting this only a day before release!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ohmygosh I think you're going to love it! I really, really hope you do. The cover does not do it justice at all. I can't wait to see what you think! :D

      Delete
  2. So glad to hear good things from you about this! I've seem some buzz building for it and it was already on my tbr-list but now that it has your endorsement, I'm even more excited! I hope I enjoy the romance too ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love it so much, and the guy isn't the usual alpha guy type, so you might like him too :)

      Delete
  3. Basically, think Han Solo plus Sherlock Holmes' brains plus extra hotness and a smidgen of vulnerability and you've pretty much got Sage.

    Yes, I'm definitely gonna love this! This is now a must read! Seriously, you've made me giddy like a little girl!!! ♥♥And I love male narration! Its a nice break from all the girls out there.

    I think between an awesome male voice, a crazily fantastic and twisty plot and a budding romance, this will definitely be high on my list :D

    All the best ♥
    Mackenzie
    My First Giveaway!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really think you will love it! I agree, it's nice to have a male narrator as a break. I hope you love it as much as I do! :D

      Delete
  4. OMG I loved your review!! I didn't give this book much thought to be honest but your review makes me want to pick it up right away!!!! Need to add it to my shelf. Plus, I want to read more Fantasy anyways! Plus, I LOVE that you mentioned the slow burning romance with lots of tension! ! Sold!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay! Really, the cover is so bleh and makes it a very easy book to overlook (although I think the finished version is going to be embossed with foil letters and other prettiness). But this book is SO good! There are so many scenes where I wanted to scream at him KISS HER ALREADY!!!! :P I hope you love it!

      Delete
  5. YES YES YES YES YES! When I first heard about this book I KNEW it would be phenomenal! I have yet to read a negative review. Aaaahh I need to get my hands on a copy!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes please do get your hands on a copy ASAP! From the very beginning I held out hope that this could be a Special Shelf book, and it lived up to every hope I had for it! I hope you love it :D

      Delete
  6. You have totally won me over. Going to order it so I can put it on top of the pile!

    Thanks for the heads-up!

    Shelley

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome! I hope you love it as much as I do. I can't get this book out of my head! I still want to just drop everything and read it again.

      Delete
  7. I've read nothing but positives about this one. But, I was under the impression that it's more of a middle school book. I'm wondering about the romance, etc. What age group would you say this is for?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is technically MG, but more on the scale of a book like Crown Duel by Sherwood Smith or Grave Mercy (minus the adult romance that bumps that one up to YA). The romance is appropriate for MG, I'm pretty sure.

      The only thing that I would think might be a consideration is the violence. It is made painfully clear that only one boy will be allowed to live and the man in control is heartless. There is also a scene of torture, though it's of the string him up and punch him in the stomach variety.

      Delete
  8. SPECIAL SHELF!!!! Aaah!!! I'm SO excited! I'm currently on a book buying ban so I'll have to wait for now, but still. To know this book exists makes me happy. It sounds so good!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aaah if there were ever a book to break a book buying ban for! But at least now you know it's out there for when you want to treat yourself :)

      Delete
  9. sooo exited 4 this one smalls
    nice review

    ReplyDelete
  10. Want! I haven't even heard anything about this one, but as soon as I read your review, I raced to add it to my wishlist. I LOVE slow-burn everything. YAYAYAYAY!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You NEED to read this one! Soooo good. It's right up there with Crown Duel. :)

      Delete
  11. Oh, there is a huge different between Slow-burn and slow.
    Slow-burn is made of awesome, so I'm feeling like I'm going to have this book a try.

    And I shall try to remember you called dibs on the guy :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Spot ON! :) You totally get what I mean. I hope you enjoy it!

      Delete
  12. Spectacular review Small. I love slow burn pacing as well, watching how all the pieces fit together. I have heard nothing on this book, and I know you don't give five stars lightly so I am adding this to my TBR. I need a change and this might do the trick.
    thanks for the awesime review, I might be back to fight you for Sage.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Yes! I love seeing all the little pieces fall into place, especially when there are some pieces that seem so inconsequential at first but then BAM suddenly they have a ton of meaning. I'm definitely picky about my five stars, but this book makes me want to shower it with stars. I hope you love it! (and I will totally fight you for Sage!)

      Delete
  13. Ok, I just LOVE it when you SPECIAL SHELF a book. This one sounds fantastic. I've really been on a MG kick lately. I'm afraid I may have to break down and buy this one. Is it a debut novel for this author? I'm so curious to read this one, since the last time I went after one of your SPECIAL SHELF books, it was Plain Kate and I so loved that story. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really think you're going to like this book! Scholastic seems to have really great people on staff when it comes to picking winners (Plain Kate and The Hunger Games are both from Scholastic too).

      This is not her first book. She has a series about, hm, I think the character's name is Elliot. I get the impression it's slightly younger MG than this one and a little more quest fantasy (The False Prince is more court fantasy). I'm bumping up her other series on my list now.

      Delete
  14. Alright, alright. I'm putting this one on my tbr pile. You got me with Han Solo meets Sherlock Holmes. :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. :) It's an irresistible combo. Please do bump it up your TBR. I hope you love it!

      Delete
  15. I was already excited about this one, Small, because somebody mentioned that it reminded them a little of The Thief (have you read that yet?). Now that you've Special Shelved it, I'm even more excited about getting my hands on a copy. I think I'll be able to share this one with my brother too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't read The Thief, but I've heard the comparisons too and I'm totally bumping that series up on my TBR now! I think you'll really like this one, and yes, it's great for boys too!

      Delete
  16. I want to read this book so, *soooo* much. I requested the ARC but I don't think I'll get one. Boo. >=[. I was sketchy about the boy narrator but you love it so I'm thinking it must be fabulous. AHHHHH!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you'll like it! Bummer about the ARC :(

      Delete
  17. I've heard really good things about this one, but Small's Special Shelf? Now I MUST get it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd be shocked if you don't like it :) It seems like your kind of book for sure!

      Delete
  18. WHAT? It was that good?!?!?! YYYYYEEEEEOOOOOWWWWW!!!!!!!!!! Ok, getting this from the library NOW. Or, at least putting holds on it, cuz I'm sure there are tons of holds on it and WHAT AM I EVEN WAITING FOR?! I should probably just buy it...GAH! I'm soooooo excited!! :D Slow-burn pace is sometimes EXACTLY what I need, and a slow-burn romance sounds FAN-FREAKING-TASTIC, and Sage sounds like I might want to eat him up he's so yummy, and and and and and....Putting it on hold RIGHT NOW!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hehehe YES! Go get it ASAP! :D

      Delete
    2. IT'S WAITING FOR ME AT THE LIBRARY!!!!!! EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEKK!!!

      Delete
    3. Yay!!! I can't wait to read your thoughts! :D I hope you love it!

      Delete
  19. Nooooooooo, don't do this to me!! I've been super behind on my reading, but there are so many great books I finally want to get to. But now I'm tempted to push all of those aside to pick up this one. It.sounds.amazing. I'm off to check out the previews you posted and then we'll see. Ahhh!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Push it ALL aside :) I'm moving soon and I'm so busy with packing and deadlines and shoring everything up at work, but I was sooo bad because I put absolutely everything on hold just to read this book. It was THAT good! :D

      Delete
  20. Sorry I've been bad about commenting lately :-(
    I can't wait to read this. I know just what you mean about slow burn pacing. It's the Goldilocks pace.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh Alison, you never have to apologize for that! I totally understand :)

      You're right—slow burn pacing is "just right"

      Delete
  21. *runs to wishlist* MUST. HAVE. THE FALSE PRINCE. A Sherlock Holmes-like character? AN AWESOME MAIN CHARACTER? And a plot that kills? HELL YES, I want to read this! Man, Small, I'm so happy I came across this review, because otherwise I might've waited longer than necessary to read this book!

    Asher

    ReplyDelete
  22. Um, this review is stellar. I received this one from Scholastic and you have me hella interested, especially about this Sage character.. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. :D Thank you! I hope you love it as much as I do!

      Delete
  23. I started reading an expert of this and knew I had to get the novel just from the narration alone. I've been looking for something to read that would give me the same feeling as Grave Mercy...as far as kingdomgs and court, etc. I can't wait to finish reading it! Great review!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sage's voice is perfect. It definitely made the book a million times better than it would have been with a different narrator (even though the story is still great).

      You should definitely check out Poison Study by Maria Snyder if you haven't read it already. Grave Mercy filled my Poison Study void :)

      Delete
  24. Okay, I think I'm definitely going to love Sage!! Erm, not in that way, of course... *backs off*

    I definitely need to read this one now! You're a pretty amazing cheerleader for your favourite books! I envy that because I always find my favourite books are the ones that are hardest to review.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I think you will love Sage! (and totally in that way. It's unavoidable, so I'll grudgingly share with you :) )

      I have SUCH a hard time writing reviews for books I love, so I'm very happy to hear you think so. :)

      Delete
  25. So happy I got a copy at ALA. I can't wait to fall in love with it too.

    ReplyDelete
  26. I also loved this book! I love your description of Sage, sometimes it is hard to put into words. When the big reveal finally came, I was really surprised...I love it when a book does that. Can't wait for the next one to come out. Thanks for a great review!

    ReplyDelete

It's all about friendly conversation here at Small Review :) I'd love to hear your thoughts!

Be sure to check back again because I do make every effort to reply to your comments here.

Because I am absolutely terrible about following through with blog awards, I can't in good conscience accept any more. Thank you very much for thinking of me though!

Spam WILL be deleted. Attacks on myself or other comments WILL be deleted.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...