Wednesday, September 28, 2011

No More Waiting (6)

 
No More Waiting is a feature I periodically do here to highlight books that have recently been released. I also highlight book-related sales that are currently available.


Click here to see previous No More Waiting posts






Books I've Read and Recommend



I think it's pretty clear by now that I am IN LOVE with this series. Torrent is the final book in the trilogy and it was everything I had hoped it would be and more. For those of you who have been waiting for all the books to be published before you started reading, now's the time!
 Today is also the final day to enter my River of Time series giveaway!

One of the most inventive 12 Dancing Princesses retellings I've read. I Special Shelved this book after lots of fangirlly cheering.

Rae Carson is a new voice in fantasy and I hope we see a lot more from her in the future. MC Elisa starts out pretty down on herself, but she finds her inner strength after an arranged marriage, a kidnapping, and a war. Loved it!



I didn't like any of the characters in this book, but that didn't stop me from devouring every page. Talk about a scary dystopian!

Breadcrumbs by Anne Ursu
I didn't personally click with this retelling of The Snow Queen, but tons of people will. Recommended especially for readers who like contemporary issues.

Wisdom's Kiss by Catherine Gilbert Murdock
I didn't love this one either, and the reviews I've read seem pretty evenly split. Maybe you'll fall into the side that loves it! Told in 8 different viewpoints, this is a court fantasy with a unique twist.


Books I Want to Read


Ruling Passion by Alyxandra Harvey
This is a new bind-up edition of The Drake Chronicles and includes:
Hearts at Stake
Blood Feud
Out for Blood

I've been meaning to read this series as I've heard really great things about it. Plus, a ruling family of vampires? Yup, I'm totally on board with that. Even better, Amazon counts it as eligible for their 4 for 3 sale!


A ban on coffee and chocolate, a future ruled by 1920s-like mobs, oh yes, I would like to read this!

I'm not really sure what to make of this book, but every review I've read has been raving about how amazing and unique it is, so (despite the unattractive cover) I'm intrigued.

I am kicking myself for passing up on this ARC when I had the chance to read it! I thought the cover was gross (ewww the blood looks thick), but that will teach me to judge books by their covers (yeah, right, like I'll learn). This sounds like a hilarious new take on vampires...with unicorns.

 
A post-apocalyptic book will always at least pique my curiosity (even if the cover makes it look like an adult book that belongs on supermarket shelves).

Honestly, I wasn't expecting much from this one, that is at least until all the awesome reviews started flowing in. Now I can't wait to try it. Werewolves on the Titanic? Ok! The (far prettier) UK cover doesn't hurt either.

This is another one that I was only sort of interested in until I started reading some positive reviews. A boarding school book with the Gothic-like question of "real or supernatural" and a creepy roommate.


Isle of Night (The Watchers #1) by Veronica Wolff
I'm not really sure about the specifics, and is it just me or is that cover pretty awful? Still, what I do know--girls train to be some kind of bodyguard for their male vampires?-- sounds like it has potential.

The Juliet Spell by Douglas Rees
 Shakespeare's brother gets popped into modern times and hilarity and romance ensue. How wrong can you go with that??


A Monster Calls by Patrick Ness 
I really have no idea what this is about other than it's supposed to be creepy and the author is supposed to be top notch. I like the cover?


Dark of the Moon by Tracy Barrett
This is a retelling of the Greek myth about Theseus and the minotaur. From what I've heard, this is a dark and definitely older YA version.
 
 Return to Exile (The Hunter Chronicles #1) by E.J. Patten
The blurb reads: "One boy. Untold enemies. A whole world to save. Time is running out." Sounds good to me! I think this one is MG.

Another I passed on because I don't like the cover (I don't like underwater covers! It's like I'm drowning!) but reviews have been swaying me. That and I've heard the guy is apparently worthy of screaming "WHERE HAVE YOU BEEN ALL MY LIFE?!?!"


The Predicteds by Christine Seifert
 An experimental program that can predict a person's behavior and a boyfriend with a secret. Sounds interesting!
 
 Sweet Venom (Medusa Girls #1) by Tera Lynn Childs
Descendents of Medusa fight demons. Yep, I want some of that!

The Faerie Ring by Kiki Hamilton
Historical fantasy + pretty jewelry + thieves = YES PLEASE!

Free e-books!


The Emerald Talisman by Brenda Pandos
What can I say, I'm a sucker for a book with jewelry on the cover! And free books. A stalker, a missing student, and paranormal abilities are just icing on the cake.

On Sale Now!


Last I checked, these books were significantly discounted on Amazon. I am not affiliated with Amazon, so I won't be profiting in any way if you do decide to buy these books through them. I'm just a reader who likes a good deal and thought I'd share.


What books are you going to spend your hard earned money on? (Or use your well-worn library card on?)


Have you read any of these books? What were your thoughts? Feel free to link me your reviews in the comments!

14 comments:

  1. Wow, so many books Small! I loved Torrent and Girl of Fire and Thorns too. I can't wait to read Daughter of Smoke and Bones and Faerie Ring.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay, I'm glad you loved The Girl of Fire and Thorns! It's one of my favorites from this year and I'm looking forward to your review! :)

    I hope you get to pick up Daughter of Smoke and Bone soon. I simply L-O-V-E-D it. I'm starting The Unbecoming of Mara Dyer tonight. Let's see what that guy is made of. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. YAY! YAY and more YAY!

    So many books out this week!
    That's like the 3rd cover of Fateful that I see and I love this one, definitely my favorite!

    Sweet Venom, I hope it's awesome - I didn't like the Mermaid books but I loved the Goddess ones.


    All These Things I've Done sounds great! :)

    *hugs* Love this feature

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm with Alex... I love this feature :D I always did hate waiting (is it hypocrisy if I participate in WoW? I hope not)...

    Anyhoo, I am waiting for a break in school work so I can devour and indulge myself in the River of Time series (I bought all three Small - ALL THREE! WOO-HOO) So so stoked to read those :D I want to enjoy them fully so I am waiting until I have free time.

    I also really really want to read The Unbecoming of Mara Dyers... I've heard good things about the boy, Noah?, and nobody is spillin much on the story so I am super curious :) Looks promising! I also like the looks of All These Things I've Done!

    Thanks for sharing some awesome book recommendations!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you for reminding me of The Girl of Fire and Thorns. Daughter of Smoke and Bone, The Night Circus and The Unbecoming of Mara Dyer all being released this month has kind of overshadowed it, but it has great reviews and I really want to read it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ahh, our wishlist is sooo similar. We're waiting for the exact same things.

    I downloaded The Emerald Talisman, and I can't wait to read it. Eleni at La Femme Readers loves this series, so I hope I do, too.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Mara Dyer & Frost are two that are right at the top of my wish list - can't wait to read those!

    The Drake Chronicles is a fun series. The first book didn't really work for me, but I've enjoyed the books more and more as the series has gone on.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I loved The Unbecoming of Mara Dyer and felt Noah totally drool worthy (hence my MBB post:D). The Predicteds I hadn't heard of til this post and I think it looks FABULOUS!!! Sweet Venom I've heard good things about, but I've also heard that it had insta-love in it and while I don't know if that is true, it's kind of put me off. As for Fateful, I detested Claudia Gray's vampire series and I just can't read any of her other books. I actually couldn't even finish the last book in the Evermore series. Although, I'm heard really good things about the book, it seems she pulls a whiplash surprise out in Fateful just as she did in in Evermore. If you read it, you'll have to let me know if you like it. Frost is one I really really want to read, so YEAH! I have Daughter of Smoke and Bone on my shelf to read, but like you I'm not a fan of the cover, but hear it's amazing. Drink Slay Love is one I am TOTALLY buying as soon as the funds are available. I can't wait to meet the characters...especially the were-unicorn. Okay, I'm done rambling. :D Love these posts, Small.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Alison, I know! This has been a fantastic month for new releases. I've heard such good things about Daughter of Smoke and Bone and The Faerie Ring! I can't wait to read them (but I'm also super scared now!)

    Stephanie, I really liked The Girl of Fire and Thorns, but I'm having SUCH a hard time writing a review for it. I'm all just, "Uuuuhhh, I liked it?" :P Can't wait to see what you thin of the Mara Dyer guy!

    Alex, Total yays! :D I agree, isn't that cover for Fateful so pretty? I like it much more than the other two (two? I think two) that I've seen. I love her billowy dress (though I'm reading it and so far there has been no pretty red dress).

    Lulu, So glad you both love it! I'm totally bad at waiting too, but I still love participating in Waiting on Wednesdays :P I am SO HAPPY to hear you bought the River of Time books!! :D Seriously, everyone time I hear someone say that it makes my day. Yeah, I've heard great things about Noah too, so now I'm really curious about him.

    TG, You're welcome! I liked The Girl of Fire and Thorns. I loved the character growth. Hope you like it!

    Asher, :D I hope they all meet our expectations!

    Leanna, Oh yes, I can totally see you reading Mara Dyer and Frost. I'll be keeping an eye out for your reviews of them :) Good to know about the Drake books. Thanks! Now I know to stick with them even if I don't love the first book. That's exactly the kind of info I want to know :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I can't wait to read Daughter of Smoke and Bones and Faerie Ring either. I've read nothing but great reviews!

    p.s. I've got "The Predicteds" giveaway going on my blog. It runs until the 30th. Check it out if you're interested. :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I originally wasn't a huge fan of the Drink Slay Love cover either and thought I'd pass on it, but everyone's reviews were so positive and now I feel an intense need to pick it up. I loved The Unbecoming of Mara Dyer, but I think it's going to be one of those either love it or hate it types of books. It was all sorts of chaotic and strange and I just ate it up:)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Jen, Oooh another Noah fan! I am SO going to have to meet this guy. Ack! Instalove in Sweet Venom?! NOOOo Oh well, I still want to try it but the cliffhanger ending I heard about has already made me put it on my "Wait until the rest are published" list.

    I haven't read any of Claudia Gray's books (mostly because I thought the covers were ugly!) but I'm reading Fateful now and so far so good. I'd say...solid four stars right now. I'm only about 100 pages in though, so that could change. I'll let you know though :)

    Uh, yeah a were-unicorn?!?! WHy couldn't they have put THAT on the cover? I totally need to read it.

    And, I <3 your rambling :)

    Rummanah, I know, right? Every review for those two books has been stellar! I hope I like them both too. I didn't realize you were holding a giveaway (or I entered and totally forgot!) I've been so behind this past week. Thanks for the heads up!

    Jenny, I don't think I've ever regretted judging a book by its cover like I did with Drink Slay Love (or, I'm sure I have, but my regret for this one is blinding me to all of my other judging regrets). I get the impression that Mara Dyer is a love it or hate it kind of book. I'm not sure which side I'm going to fall on, but I want to find out!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I'm drooling over so many of these. I was astounded by how many rave reviews The Daughter of Smoke and Bone was getting. I've never seen a book on Amazon get 5 stars so consistantly. I couldn't stand it any longer, so I pre-ordered for my Kindle, it arrived 9/27. Now I just need to make time to read it.

    Thanks for the tip on the Freebie. I snagged it up! As for the others, The Eleventh Plauge is available at my digital library (I can now get books on KINDLE!). I want to read Frost. Drink, Slay, Love just didn't sound good to me but now I might have to try it. Most of the others rock too! What a fun post!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Gina, The Daughter of Smoke and Bone has SERIOUSLY gotten crazy positive reviews! I'm pretty much at the too terrified to read it point now. I can't wait to read your review. Maybe you will make it seem safer and you have a good handle on what I like so you can tell me :)

    It's so cool you can get Kindle books now! It took 'em long enough. :P Better late than never!

    ReplyDelete

It's all about friendly conversation here at Small Review :) I'd love to hear your thoughts!

Be sure to check back again because I do make every effort to reply to your comments here.

Because I am absolutely terrible about following through with blog awards, I can't in good conscience accept any more. Thank you very much for thinking of me though!

Spam WILL be deleted. Attacks on myself or other comments WILL be deleted.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...