Friday, January 14, 2011

Book Blogger Hop (6)



Book Blogger Hop is a weekly meme hosted by Crazy-for-Books where book bloggers answer the weekly question and hop around to other blogs and see what other bloggers have to say. The goal is to discover new blogs, "connect with other book lovers, make new friends, support each other, and generally just share our love of books!"



This week's question is:
"Why do you read the genre that you do?  What draws you to it?"

These book hop questions are never easy, are they? I read a bunch of different genres, but primarily I read YA. Within that, it's mostly fantasy, paranormal, and historical fiction.
 
I'm not even going to approach the question of why YA. That question has been answered many times before by many adult bloggers and, honestly, I'm not nearly as eloquent as they are on the topic. 
 
As for the genres I read, I guess I like something different from reality. Fantasy books have endless possibilities. Paranormal books make it seem like those possibilities are within our grasp. Plus, I just like all the questing and fighting against Big Bads that goes on in those types of books. And, is it just me, or isn't it fun to imagine how kick butt I would be in those situations and how awesome my powers would be?
 
Historical fiction, well, that may be based on reality (and the closer the better!), but it's not my reality. I like going back in time and seeing what life was like then. I like how historical fiction teaches me about history and makes the people come alive more than a textbook ever did. 
 
I guess an easier question for me to answer would have been why don't you read certain genres. It's always easier for me to answer what I don't like than try to form a coherent explanation of what I do like. 
 

Miss something on Small Review? Read the Recap to see what happened this week.

14 comments:

  1. Heh, I agree that it's definitely pretty easy to say why I don't read certain genres~~

    There usually isn't much need to justify liking things ^.^

    Sniffly Kitty
    Sniffly Kitty's Mostly Books
    Loving the Reviews Challenge

    ReplyDelete
  2. This one was tough for me too this week! Since my tastes are so eclectic, I can't even come up with a good reason why I don't read some genres. :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. You're right, these are never easy to answer!
    *grins*
    I think I like the genres I like because they make me forget myself for a little bit at a time, they can be contemporary and rooted in reality, or paranormal or fantasy or historical; all they need to do is grab me. If a story can hold me, I'm happy, don't really have any other specific requirements though I do tend to avoid certain plots. :D

    Have a great weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think that's very true when it comes to genres: it's easier to explain why I don't like certain things. I enjoy a lot of fantasy (including urban fantasy), some dystopian, some paranormal, and contemporary but sometimes it's hard to say *why* I like them so well, or why I naturally gravitate toward them more than others (like, say, historical or mystery). Your point about paranormal is interesting: they are always situated in "our" world but they peel back a veil into another one.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Like you I also read mostly YA. I guess you can say its cause I can relate to the characters, the story, etc. Its a stage we've ALL been through!

    Diana
    The Lovely Getaway

    ReplyDelete
  6. Just came by to say hello. I agree those questions are never easy but they make you think, and this I like!

    Have a wonderful start in the weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hopping by to return the visit and follow! Thank you so much for your smart, thoughtful comments.

    I'm with you on the endless possibilities of paranormal fiction and the great alternate realities of historical fiction. There's fun to be had and lessons to be learned in so many different genres. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I like your answer. I read to get away from reality too--my reality-- but I still want the things I read to feel real. So I mostly read historical fiction. But there are too many good books out there to read one genre exclusively!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your comment of finding it easier to explain why you will not read certain genres reminds me of the difficulty I have reviewing books that I really love as opposed to the ones I cannot stand. It's possible I may never be able to review Phantom of the Opera because I just come across as a babbling fangirl every time I try to put my thoughts down.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Stopping by from the blog hop...my answer is on my blog page.

    Happy Saturday!!

    Elizabeth

    http://silversolara.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  11. I agree-it's easier to say what I don't tend to read, because I actually read lots of different types of books. These Hop questions tend to be tricky! :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thanks for hopping by everyone! I’m glad to see I’m not the only one who found this question tough!

    Bea, Yes, you described what I meant exactly. I love the phrase you used about peeling back the veil!

    The Lovely Getaway, That’s a good point about YA. We have all been there, and even if we’re not there currently, we can still relate.

    Tiger Holland, Thank you for the follow!

    Susan, I agree, I like the balance of reality/but not my reality that you can get through historical fiction.

    Bookish Hobbit, Haha, yeah the more I like a book the more I think my review degenerates into fangirl squeeeeeee!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thanks for dropping by my blog earlier! You make a really good point- it's a lot easier to say why you DON'T love a genre. I'm sure most of us could go on and on why we love YA so much. ^.~

    I hope you're enjoying your weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hopping through. I primarily read YA too - a mixture of paranormal and contemp. I love how many possibilities are open to characters in YA.
    My Hop

    ReplyDelete

It's all about friendly conversation here at Small Review :) I'd love to hear your thoughts!

Be sure to check back again because I do make every effort to reply to your comments here.

Because I am absolutely terrible about following through with blog awards, I can't in good conscience accept any more. Thank you very much for thinking of me though!

Spam WILL be deleted. Attacks on myself or other comments WILL be deleted.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...