Sunday, January 30, 2011

Discussion: Because Fictional Guys are Better


Some of you may recall in my previous discussion post Librarians: The Naughty Old Grouch I mentioned that I am engaged to a fictional guy. I also promised that I would explain that strange claim with a totally and completely sane explanation. This post is that explanation.


Warning: I know you're all used to funny pictures, but every discussion post can't be funny. Honestly, I'm really not a very funny person and some discussions need to be serious. 

And fictional guys? Totally serious.  



(FYI, these pictures get bigger if you click on them. Just saying...)



There's something about fictional guys that makes them ah-mazing.





Is it that they're often penned by women and are closer to (someone's) dreams than reality? 














Is it that special *something* that makes a guy with a sword super sexy?















That dangerous gleam in their eyes?




















The thrill that he just might turn to the dark side?

















Or even that little bit of "sarcastic ass" that fictional guys can get away with?











Regardless of which fictional guy you're personally lusting after, I think we're all on the same page that the answer the the question of

"Would you like a fictional guy to come to life?" 

is a resounding 

"YES PLEASE!"


You boys walking into Mordor? Sure, I'll come along. :)

But what does this have to do with me? Am I dating any of those hotties? No, no I am not. My story requires us to go back in time. Back to 1992, to be specific. In 1992 I was two feet shorter than I am now and attending elementary school. My life was pretty sweet, but the sweetest part was when that heavenly Scholastic book fair would come to school. The chamber of tortures (read: the gym) was transformed into a sanctuary of wonderment and joy.

Picture it: tables and tables covered in books and I could have whatever I wanted! Tell me that's not heaven on Earth. So I was browsing around when suddenly I came upon this little book:


My eight-year-old heart went Ooh-la-la and I picked up the book. Basically the book is like a slightly different version of Bridge to Terabithia, but I wasn't at all concerned about that (it is a good book though. Really). All I cared about what Blaze, that guy on the cover. I had a cute little kid crush on him. Thinking back, he was actually one of my first book-boy crushes. Later on I got a little older and discovered the bad boy. Blaze was a fond memory and I still kept my copy, but life went on.


Flash forward ten years to when I first began dating my wonderful fiance. We had been together a few months and everything was roses and puppy dogs. By this point he had become well-acquainted with my book obsession and figured he'd show me something kind of cool. So what does he do?


He whips out a copy of Words of Stone, points to MY Blaze on the cover and says:

He's older now. And blond.


"That's me."


He told me all about how he used to be a cover model when he was a kid and how that's him on the cover and he's also on a cover of a Babysitter's Club book but he doesn't know which one.....etc, etc. Except, at this point I'm speechless and looking like I'm about to faint dead away. Not because I'm blow away by the fact that he's been on books, and not just any books, but books that I loved (The BSC? I lived and breathed for them). Oh no, I would have been squealing over that for sure, but this was a whole 'nother thing!

This was Blaze! MY Blaze! I had a little 8-year-old-girl crush on my fiance before I even knew he existed! 

Kinda cool, right? 

Well, that's my story. See, totally sane. 

What about all of you? Have you ever had something book-related come true? Meet an author? Know a cover model? Etc.. Which fictional guy would you want to come to life to be your real life boyfriend? Or, you know, your sexy one night stand (because some of them are hot but a little *much* if they were actually real. Like, you know, Damon's whole centuries of killing people thing...)

27 comments:

  1. Wow...that coincidence is seriously kinda freaky (in a good way!) Especially considering that wasn't a really well-known children's book that lots of people would have read (I've never even heard of it before.) *shakes head in disbelief* I am afraid I have no such lucky coincidences to share in return, but yours is awesome :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. OMG!I thought this sort of stuff only happens in movies!! :D How cool and how lucky you are!
    Fictional guys are a zillion times better. If Aragorn or Mr Darcy or Robbie (Atonement by Ian McEwan) were to come to life, I would die of happiness :) On the other hand, I wouldn't want Damon to be real , even though he makes me swoon. Just the thought of him being real makes me scared.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is such an amazing coincidence! I did a whole post on my literary crushes--you can read it here if you'd like.
    There is an illustrator/cover artist in my town (he did all the Peter and the Starcatcher books). We run into each other periodically and I am determined to get one of my sons on a cover someday!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Awww, this is such a cute and awesome story! :D I'm seriously sitting here with a stupid smile on my face, lol. Thanks for sharing it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Now that's an awesome story to tell. :]

    And I'd have to say I'm a sucker for Marcus Flutie from the Jessica Darling series.

    ReplyDelete
  6. If that is not the most amazing story I have ever read. I'm so glad I took the time out to scroll through your blog a bit!

    What a story!

    There is still time to enter my Steampunkery Giveaway!!!

    Mad Scientist
    Steampunkery & Book Reviews
    Forbidden Steam  Adult- even the Mad Scientist gets naughty!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow! That is an awesome story.

    My fictional crush is Thomas Mackee from The Piper's Son :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow, that's such a cute story, and I love the hot guy pics you posted up. I'd totally walk to Mordor with the LOTR gang too.

    My fictional crush is Jared Sondervan from I Now Pronounce You Someone Else.

    ReplyDelete
  9. OMG! That is so cool! Fancy that eh. We want to see a picture of him now though too ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  10. WHOA. That was a beautiful story! Geez. My romantic heart just did a huge somersault in my chest. It made me giddy and want to blush. If that's not the best romantic story come to life, I don't know what is. You've definitely given us book bloggers/readers some hope. But, boy what a story! I think I'll be passing that on all day today!

    Asher K. (Paranormal Indulgence)

    ReplyDelete
  11. That is the cutest story ever! :) Oh my god, that is so awesome!


    My fictional crush is Jonah from How To Say Goodbye in Robot! But it also changes a little, depending on what book I read, I usually develop a bit of a book crush on the main character's love interest ;)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Such a cute story! I love it!

    I have many, many fictional crushes--now, if only they would come to life for me!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wowww!
    That is so scary, sometimes it seems like such a small world!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Is that story for real? Seriously, sounds like something from a movie. What a coincidence! Unfortunately for me, I've never had any sort of book-related incident like this come true.

    ReplyDelete
  15. :D I'm glad you all liked my story. See, totally sane :P Now next time you're staring longingly at a sexy book cover, keep my story in mind. There is hope you could snag that book cover guy!

    I'm shocked, but I haven't read most of all of your fictional crushes. I think I need to add those to my TBR right now!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I think I actually squeaked a little while reading this. So cute and amazing!!

    I'm pretty sure that if I ever met Ian Somerhalder I would be speechless. Absolutely incapable of speaking. He is too delicious for words. My book crush will always be Jamie Fraser from the Outlander series. Perfect. So perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  17. :) Oh I totally agree about Ian Somerhalder! I love it when bloggers have Team Damon buttons on their sidebars. I always get distracted. :P I've heard such amazing things about Jamie Fraser. He sounds awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Just popping into say that your story is amazing and something I wish would happen to me!!!

    As far as fictional crushes... I don't know how fictional Ian Somerhalder is, but he's TOTALLY on my list of hotties. I have always had a crush on any character Gregory Smith plays... Seriously, this has been going on since his appearance on 'Shining Time Station'!

    As far as books, based on description, I'd love to meet Archer from Hex Hall. He seems like a catch. There are definitely some guys on the cover of a handful of romance novels, I'd love to meet!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Brooke, Glad you liked my story :) Ooooh yes I agree with you about Ian Somerhalder. They'd better never write him off the show. Wow, I didn't even realize Gregory Smith was that little boy on Shining Time Station. You're taking me back! Though I'm probably dating myself by thinking "Oh, the guy from Everwood!" :P

    ReplyDelete
  20. Ok, I honestly only thought things like that happened in books. It's a real life fairy tale!
    Nothing half as interesting or amazing as that has ever happened to me. But... if I could have any fictional boyfriend... well... Edward Cullen, Dimitri Belikov, or Dean Winchester. But I have a feeling none of them would work out, unlike your fairy tale!
    That is probably the best real book-related story I've heard forever!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Freaking. Incredibly. Awesomely. EPIC.

    You are one of the few, the proud, who have their book boyfriends in the fleshy flesh. I'm so jealous and in aww right now that its insane. :D

    ~Kelsa

    ReplyDelete
  22. OMG THAT IS LIKE A FAIRY TALE!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Best story EVER!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  23. This might come off as too cliche, but wow, you really are destined for each other! That is such a fun and romantic story to tell your kids and grand kids someday.

    I have this huuuge crush on Dash from Dash and Lily's Book of Dares - I like really smart guys who are initially snarky but turns out to be a really good person.

    Brush Up On Your Reading

    ReplyDelete
  24. OMG! What a wonderful story! I'm in tears here!

    Talk about fate! A librarian engaged to a book cover model is like so epic I can't even form words! Love this story. It makes me wish I was y'all grand kid so I could here the story over and over again at every holiday. LOL

    Really, perfect!

    And yes, fictional guys? Totally serious.

    Don't know how I missed this post before, but thank goodness for link within. :)

    ReplyDelete
  25. I have no idea how I missed this post, but I'm so glad I found it. I'm highly jealous of you right now because, really...fictional guys are better. I seriously think I might have cried finding out that the man I was in love with was the same fictional guy I was in love with ages ago...well picture on a cover....you know what I mean. That is seriously the most amazing story, EVER! And BSC...HELLO! Maybe he was Logan...o_o Geesh, you are one lucky girl!

    If I could bring someone to life, I think it would be Cricket Bell from Lola and the Boy Next Door (although I'd have to add 10 years onto him because I don't cradle rob. LOL). I would love a one night stand with Jericho Barrons and I think I would like to have a relationship with Curran the Beast Lord. So, I guess it's a toss up between Curran and an aged Cricket. Mmmmm....fictional boys. :D

    ReplyDelete
  26. The Book Addicted Girl, It really is like a real life fairy tale :P Oh wow, yeah, I'll take a Dean Winchester please!

    Kelsa, :D

    Lazy Girl, Yay! :D

    Nina, I know, right? I should sell movie rights :P I really need to read that book. I've heard good things about Dash.

    Missie, Haha I know, it's perfect! We'll have to force our (future) children into bookish fields :P

    Jen, Alas, he was not Logan. And yeah, I've already tracked down all the Logan covers to confirm :P hahaaha yes, the age thing of fictional guys can be tricky! I totally feel like a cradle robber with all these hot YA guys!

    ReplyDelete

It's all about friendly conversation here at Small Review :) I'd love to hear your thoughts!

Be sure to check back again because I do make every effort to reply to your comments here.

Because I am absolutely terrible about following through with blog awards, I can't in good conscience accept any more. Thank you very much for thinking of me though!

Spam WILL be deleted. Attacks on myself or other comments WILL be deleted.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...