Tuesday, December 27, 2011

2012 Classic Double Challenge




0/6 books


Challenge Basics:

Name: Classic Double Challenge
Hosts : One Librarian's Book Reviews
Starts: January 1, 2012
Ends: December 31, 2012
Eligible Books: Read a classic, fairy tale, or myth, and then read a modern book that somehow relates back to the original.
Levels: Four. I am going to try for level 3: Read 6 books (three pairs)
Prizes? Yes, to be determined
Sign up page 

Why I'm Interested:  

I've put off reading Jane Eyre for FAR TOO LONG. Other than that, I think I can knock this challenge out with all the fairy tale retellings on my TBR.

I also like that the challenge makes me think of a big cheeseburger.

Some books I'm considering: 

Jane Eyre by Charlotte Bronte
A Breath of Eyre by Eve Marie Mont

East of the Sun, West of the Moon
Sun and Moon, Ice and Snow by Jessica Day George

The Goose Girl by the Brothers Grimm
The Goose Girl by Shannon Hale

Books Completed:

9. The Girl Games by Joan Holub and Suzanne Williams
8. Medusa the Mean by Joan Holub and Suzanne Williams
7. Artemis the Loyal by Joan Holub and Suzanne Williams
6. Tiger Lily by Jodi Lynn Anderson
5. A Breath of Eyre by Eve Marie Mont
4. Aphrodite the Diva by Joan Holub and Suzanne Williams
3. Everneath by Brodi Ashton
2. Athena the Wise by Joan Holub and Suzanne Williams
1. Cinder by Marissa Meyer

Have you signed up for this challenge? What books are you planning on reading? Do you have any suggestions that I absolutely MUST read?

12 comments:

  1. 'Sun and Moon, Ice and Snow' is an absolutely fabulous read. I would definitely recommend it, though the others are good books as well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I bow down to both your ability to find challenges and your motivation to join said challenges. It is really inspiring. Just not enough for me to join with you.

    Happy Reading!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Small!! How many challenges are you doing?! heheh :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yeah! I'm so glad you joined up! And way to be ambitious :). Loved Sun and Moon, Ice and Snow. I should read the original tale sometime.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This sounds like a seriously awesome challenge! I hope you enjoy it!!!

    =)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I commend you for doing a challenge like this one. I couldn't commit myself to reading a classic - ew yuck!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Eden, Thank you for the recommendation! I'm really looking forward to reading that one. I've loved all her other books so far.

    Rapunzel, Haha thank you! Signing up is the easy part though :P

    Lah, Hm, I think...19! I found a few more I wanted to add... :)

    Melissa, I'm so glad you're hosting! The gigantic list you made of book suggestions is worth it alone!

    Alex, It does sound awesome! I love comparing versions of retellings.

    Gina, hehe well, I see myself "cheating" a little by reading fairy tales for at least one, maybe two of them! That makes it a LOT easier. Some classics really are awesome though! Have you read Treasure Island or The Sword in the Stone?

    ReplyDelete
  8. I plan on reading A Breath of Eyre because I adore Jane Eyre. I think for that Back to the Classics challenge I signed up for I shall select Jane Eyre for the re-reading a classic of your choice option. My spiffy new edition is begging to be read!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ooooh this is a cute challenge. I really enjoyed reading Jane Eyre. I think it was the only classic I picked up outside of school. I got the motivation to pick it up AFTER reading April Lindner's JANE.

    Good luck.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Bookish Hobbit, I have TWO editions of Jane Eyre to choose from. I have no excuses! :P

    Cialina, Yay! Another vote in favor of Jane Eyre!

    ReplyDelete
  11. @Small - Nope, not read either one, I see the covers on them and I instantly get a headache. I don't know why, but I just haven't been able to get into reading classics.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Aw, I liked both of those (but not their covers!). Classics are a whole 'nother ballgame though. I have to be in the mood to read that style so I understand where you're coming from.

    ReplyDelete

It's all about friendly conversation here at Small Review :) I'd love to hear your thoughts!

Be sure to check back again because I do make every effort to reply to your comments here.

Because I am absolutely terrible about following through with blog awards, I can't in good conscience accept any more. Thank you very much for thinking of me though!

Spam WILL be deleted. Attacks on myself or other comments WILL be deleted.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...